10gbe throughput at 2.5gbe

On 5/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, aaronwt said:

I have a couple of those QNAP switches. I've never had any problem getting over 8Gbps throughput, between two PCs, using Commscope Cat6 patch cables. On the 10GbE ports. And then Cat5e is rated for up to 100 meters at 2.5 GbE. My unRAIDs are connected to the 2.5 GbE ports. Some using generic Cat5e. At 2.5 GbE, they work just the same as the ones using Commscope Cat6 cables.

That's the thing because my Unraid the Switch and my workstation all on the same location. I can connect to all the device using just 0.5m cable. From my understanding even a typical Cat6 cable can handle 10Gbe speed at short distance. i think 0.5m are consider very short distance.

Even now im connect back to back im still getting 2.5-3Gbe speed.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:48 AM, Faceman said:

Don't buy anything labelled CAT7 or CAT8 on amazon, they are all fake. buy CAT6A (not CAT6E that doesn't exist) UTP patch cables from a respected data equipment supplier.

If the cable is "flat" it would barely meet cat5e specs.

All that aside, the cables are not your problem, the issue is a bottleneck somewhere in the chain, has someone ever done a proper throughput test on that switch? can it actually switch 10gbe at full speed through those ports? is it one 10gbe channel on the switch chip and they are splitting it for convenience?

Is there a CPU bottleneck somewhere, a PCIE lane limitation? have you tried a direct connection between the machines?

Ive bypass the switch and now doing back to back im still getting the same 2.5-3Gbe testing with iperf3. Both card are plug into a Gen 3 X16 Pcie Lane.

Before this i manage to get the max SSD SATA6 speed which is about 400MB/s but recently i notice that i only manage at about 40-60MB/s that's where i start to test the connection and notice my 10Gbe only do 2.5-3Gbe speed. and file transfer wont even goes above 80MB/simage.png.6a5d2041a7ee348d7b858e0bb87a6f14.png

but why bridge both ports ? Does not make any sense to me

54 minutes ago, feins said:

Now iperf3 for unraid is in docker now

Yeah, maybe, but still I would set up this docker to use "host" networking instead of a bridge. Would show the real IP Addresses instead of the virtual ones.

(and mayb a bit faster because the detour is not there anymore)

I've just tested myself... the docker is eating up a lot of performance. but not even close to your results...

grafik.thumb.png.308194b24c5916fb4653c9f9c3a4ae3b.png

anyway, you must have done somthing to the docker. the default is "host" mode, I've just checked it. So you have modified the setup somehow

someway

3 hours ago, MAM59 said:

but why bridge both ports ? Does not make any sense to me

Yeah, maybe, but still I would set up this docker to use "host" networking instead of a bridge. Would show the real IP Addresses instead of the virtual ones.

(and mayb a bit faster because the detour is not there anymore)

Ive tried if don't bridge eth1 i don't get any DHCP IP. Even if i configure static IP on both Port i can only ping to the Server but cant reach the internet seems it don't route out.

I didn't change anything while installing iperf3 as i don't change the default setting for docker unless been told or instructed. I will change it to Host and try.

Seems same result. poor throughput between Unraid and Windows.

I just perform a loopback test on my workstation and seems loopback i manage to get 10Gbe throughput.

image.thumb.png.4088e2caa03269725048a402c5f24b4e.png

image.thumb.png.af2ef64b8ffa92334794cbb2e3a08399.png

Edited by feins
On 5/25/2023 at 10:49 PM, MAM59 said:

but... i dont get it... where are the cables of eth0 and eth1 connected to??? if you do not use the switch only one port can have a valid connection.

or is it switch->eth1|eth0->client ???

very mystic...

eth0 connect to my IPS router and eth1 connect to my workstation.

Now my setting are similar to guyth setup just that im still getting 2.5Gbe.