10G Nic is only providing 5000Mbps connection??

Ok, so I have never posted before so please be kind. 

My server using a 10G network card connected to the UniFi 10G Agro switch. the Unifi reports back 10G but Unraid only shows 5000Mbps. I have done the basic, move to a know working 10G port on the switch. Changed SPF+ RJ45 adapter to a know working one. Change the network cables out. Ensured no pysical damage to the Nic port or switch. I can seem to figure out why I'm only seeing 5000Mbps in the dashboard??

image.png.5b264bc9526c162664cd71d8f7ea198c.png

weezyryzen-diagnostics-20230519-1213.zip

Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            10000baseT/Full
                            2500baseT/Full
                            5000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Supported FEC modes: Not reported
    Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            10000baseT/Full
                            2500baseT/Full
                            5000baseT/Full

NIC is only supporting/announcing up to 5GbE.

@JorgeB, Thank you for the quick reply!!

Any idea how to fix that? Its this Network card from Amazon. 

ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter Pci-E X4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XG-C100C-Network-Adapter-Single/dp/B072N84DG6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1AWZWLJDDQ441&keywords=ASUS+XG-C100C+10G+Network+Adapter+Pci-E+X4+Card+with+Single+RJ-45+Port&qid=1684520207&s=electronics&sprefix=asus+xg-c100c+10g+network+adapter+pci-e+x4+card+with+single+rj-45+port%2Celectronics%2C125&sr=1-3

Edited by TheeWeezyMike

@JorgeB, updated and still no dice.  So, is this just a limitation of the available drivers for my Nic? Can you recommend a 10G Nic I can pickup and replace this one with? Everything I see is from years ago and I want the most current I can. 

Edited by TheeWeezyMike
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

NIC is only supporting/announcing up to 5GbE.

Nono. open your eyes :-)))

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Supported link modes:   100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            10000baseT/Full

the sorting of the list is just... strange.

I once had this card too (its one with the widespread Aquantic Chipset), it CAN do 10G, but it is not recommended for Server use, it lacks many features to fulfill multiple requests and so on. Better get a real card from Intel or (used) Mellanox.

Still, no idea why it is locked to 5G, maybe it thinks, there is not enough cpu power to handle 10G? (as I said, this card does not do much with offloading stuff..., its a cpu hog)

But then, the switch could be fooled by the strange list too. Usually the list is sorted low to high speed, so one (like Jorge) could expect the last entry to be the fastest one. Maybe the Switch just always picks "last in list"?

BTW: don't get fooled by the switch telling you, it would be a 10G connection. Many brands do report everything >1G as 10G, they dont know about 2,5G or 5G at all (with proper flow control they still work correctly with these lower speeds).

You should try to FORCE the card to use 10G (usually you should force this on the switches' side, but because it already believes it is, forcing would not help I guess, but you can try, it wont harm anything)

BTW2: even if you manage to establish a real 10G link with this card, don't dare to expect to see real 10G transfers. The best I ever got out of it was about 800Mb/s instead of 1100Mb/s. And not for long too...

Edited by MAM59
  • Like 1

@MAM59 good eyes, I went back and looked and missed it as well. Thank for this info!  I'm running a Ryzen 5900X and the usage is less than 10% most the time so I don't think its the CPU limiting things but, this is fairly new to me so what do I know lol. I did set the switch to force 10G and nothing change, you may be onto something with it pulling the last item on the list. I'm going to start looking for a new 10G nic to solve it and move this card to me personal PC, sounds like a better use case. Oddly, I looked at my Synology 1219+ with Synology's 10G nic installed, it is also only running 5000Mbps. But my other unRAID server (on a T320 with a sfp+ fiber connection) is running 10G no issues and reports 10G in the dashboard. All connected to the same switch.. (shurg) 

no idea

btw QNAP uses the same NIC (Chipset) too.

I had fought some months against cards and switches (my shelf is full of this 10G crap stuff) and finally gave up and moved to fiber... what a relief!!!

With TP there was always something, lost links, slowdowns and so on. Now ZERO problems for 2yrs already...