Unraid GUI won’t load

Hello all,

Im having issues getting my Unraid GUI to load; The screen remains blank the cursor just blinks.

image.thumb.jpeg.a27b528cd54a4fc4ae794553fb0939aa.jpeg
Note: The console mode appears to work fine.

My suspicion is that there is an issue with rclone.org which is causing this issue to occur as I get this error in the startup phase:

”ping: downloads.recline.org: Name or service not known”

image.thumb.jpeg.115fb7e09cc93ccba8e5ab4bb86a6524.jpeg

Background:

My Unraid server for certain reasons has been unused for the last month and a half and my router has since been changed during this time.

I don’t suspect that it would be a router issue as I’ve assigned a static ip to my Unraid server.

All help is appreciated. 
Thank you.

Edited by xav_hs
Added console description
17 minutes ago, xav_hs said:

.... and my router has since been changed during this time.

I don’t suspect that it would be a router issue as I’ve assigned a static ip to my Unraid server.

I would be looking at this situation as this is often the cause of the problem that you are describing-- new router and static IP address!

1---  Is that static IP address in the range of the addresses used by the router?

2--- Is it possible that the router has assigned an other device to the same IP address?  (Static addresses assigned only on the computer side have some serious side effects.   Most routers have a method for assigning a specific address to a MAC address/device.   Using that will accomplish the same thing as assigning a static address only on the computer side of things.)

13 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I would be looking at this situation as this is often the cause of the problem that you are describing-- new router and static IP address!

1---  Is that static IP address in the range of the addresses used by the router?

2--- Is it possible that the router has assigned an other device to the same IP address?  (Static addresses assigned only on the computer side have some serious side effects.   Most routers have a method for assigning a specific address to a MAC address/device.   Using that will accomplish the same thing as assigning a static address only on the computer side of things.)

1. The static ip is outside of the DHCP ip pool. 

2. I don’t believe this to be the case. I have assigned the static ip in the router settings.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Unless your primary day to day computer is actually a VM running on Unraid, there is very little reason to select anything other than the normal boot modes. 

What I meant with that comment is if I launch Unraid in console mode it displays text and is interactable, but GUI mode doesn’t work in any case.

3 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I am not an Guru on Networking or routers but I suspect that your server's IP address has to be within its DHCP pool range.

What I heard was that if I assign a static ip within DHCP range there is a chance that the ip will be assigned to another device, and so generally it should be outside the DHCP range.

Open to any corrections.

14 minutes ago, xav_hs said:

What I heard was that if I assign a static ip within DHCP range there is a chance that the ip will be assigned to another device, and so generally it should be outside the DHCP range.

This was true with cheap routers 15+ years ago but all recent decent routers should have a means to reserve IP addresses within it DHCP pool range for use by devices that require static addresses.  (My router actually has a feature which will convert a currently assigned DHCP address into a static address that is linked only to the MAC address of the currently assigned device. This means the computer will always get that IP address even if it uses DHCP.  If I manually assign a IP address to be static, I have to have the MAC address as a part of the process.)

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, xav_hs said:

Could you please let me know how I can install this? (Through console as I don’t have access to the GUI)

You fix the other issue first and then access the server via another system, which is always going to be how your primary method of accessing is going to be

11 hours ago, Squid said:

You fix the other issue first and then access the server via another system, which is always going to be how your primary method of accessing is going to be

I am aware of this, I do normally access the GUI from the ip of my server on a different device but what I’m trying to point out is that the GUI is inaccessible from both the ip using a different device and locally on the Unraid machine itself. 

I did an ifconfig and the ip shown is what I’m using to try to access the server but I get a connection error when trying to access it and I’m not sure why this is.

10 hours ago, xav_hs said:

I am aware of this, I do normally access the GUI from the ip of my server on a different device but what I’m trying to point out is that the GUI is inaccessible from both the ip using a different device and locally on the Unraid machine itself. 

I did an ifconfig and the ip shown is what I’m using to try to access the server but I get a connection error when trying to access it and I’m not sure why this is.

I assume that since you could do an ifconfig you were able to log in at the console?    If that is so you can use the ‘diagnostics’ command and the results will be written to the ‘logs’ folder on the flash drive.    Posting the resulting zip file gives us some idea of what is going on.

• Like 1

Edit:

unfortunately the use_ssl no command did not fix this issue, it was working for around 10 minutes after, but the GUI became unavailable again after updating the auto update plugin.

Ive tried removing the plugin (.plg file) from my Unraid boot USB but still this issue is occurring and I’m unable to access my GUI.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Try booting in safe mode, if still the same might be easier to just backing up and recreating the flash drive while restoring only the bare minimum, like the key, super.dat and pools folder for the assignments, docker user templates if you have them and if it works reconfigure the rest.

Hi George, I’ve tried safe mode but no luck with that. I’ll give reconfiguring the drive a shot. Any decent guide on how to reconfigure, or should I just save all the files and reinstall Unraid to the USB and then restore all the files you mentioned to the USB?

Try booting in safe mode, if still the same might be easier to just backing up and recreating the flash drive while restoring only the bare minimum, like the key, super.dat and pools folder for the assignments, docker user templates if you have them and if it works reconfigure the rest.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also having this problem.  GUI will not boot on the server.  my problem is that I've messed up the network settings (playing with the bridge / bond settings).  Now I can't reach the server from the client.  When I try to user the server's gui with a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse attached, it will not boot the GUI.  Therefore, I am unable to revert the network settings.  And with 6.12 upgrade, my SMB shares no longer work.  Just having lots of poblems after the upate.  before, it everything was working fine.  At this point I would prefer to wipe the flash drive and start clean.  However, I need to make sure that my drive / array settings are preserved as I have no photo / screen shots of my drive configurations.

Is there a way to start over with the following configuration preserved.

1. Drive Confguration / Array Configuration + Cache Pool settings

2. Docker configuration (it would be a major pain to do this all over again..

If someone can help and let me know exactly what to back up from the flash drive, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am a linux-idiot.  Therefore, instead of trying to fix everything, I'd be better off just starting over.  Only I cannot afford to loose any data.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, trurl said:

Delete config/network.cfg from your flash drive and it will use default. 

Thank you.  I will try that.  Now I need to figure out the SMB issue.  On 6.11 everything worked fine.  After the update, I cannot access the drives anymore.  So I thought it was a network setting issue and accidentally changed bond settings.  I'm stumped as to why this is happening.  During the boot up, I get this one error message and right afte the Samba services start.

" Starting mcelog daemon:  /usr/sbin/mcelog --daemon

mv: cannot stat 'etc/axelrc.new' : No such file or direcory "

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to bring this up.  I am stumped as to why my SMB shares are no longer accessible.  

1.  My windows side, all SMB features all confirmed installed and running (all was working fine on 6.11)

2. Found several threads regarding stopping and restarting the array + restarting SMB via terminal -- tried and does nothing.

3. I use wireguard, but not sure what has changed in 6.12 to break this **  Wireguard works fine. Confirmed Unread UI, Plex, and other docker access using cellphone from outside.  Only the SMB file shares are no longer accessible.

4. Deleted all mapped netork drive and rebooted the PC and tried remapping - get a "Network Name cannt be found" error while trying to re-map.

5. Confirmed within Unraid that all user credential settings are correct (which i haen't touched in 6+ years).  I am confident 6.12 broke Samba

I have many 'critical' files and daily workflow that depends on network file share access.  any help would be greatly appreciated it!   I was so frustrated, and hence the attempt to start fresh with the array in tact.

It seems one of the most common steps recommended in case like this is to boot via safe mode to see if Samba is still working.  I'll give that a go once I get the network.cfg file replaced and get my server back online.

Thank you.

Edited by asong1