Need Help with learning!

Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

Hey, I am new to Unraid and servers and networking stuff , next year I am going to do a "Ausbildung" = "Education" in IT for app development for 3.5 years . Networking is in the Program but I want to already learn everything about networking and unraid (NAS/Servers) because I am also starting my own buisness with a colleague and we need a NAS. I want to do it myself with an old PC, but I don't know anything and I don't want to watch videos where they tell you do this do that. I want to understand why and what and how I am doing something, I don't want to be a expert really I just want to understand at least 50% of it. Any recommendations on how/where/with what to start? Any help is welcome! P.S I am 16 still going to school and I am ready to learn so I can spend at least few hours a day :) Thank you all already!

7 minutes ago, arman said:

Any recommendations on how/where/with what to start?

Even though videos may not be your preferred way of learning, the Spaceinvader One YouTube channel has excellent videos on many Unraid topics.  He has many videos just for explaining how things work and why.

Also, new Unraid documentation became available just yesterday and is well organized and searchable. 

Unraid.net is a good resource for general information on Unraid functionality and uses.

Edited by Hoopster
1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Even though videos may not be your preferred way of learning, the Spaceinvader One YouTube channel has excellent videos on many Unraid topics.  He has many videos just for explaining how things work and why.

Also, new Unraid documentation became available just yesterday and in well organized and searchable. 

Unraid.net is a good resource for general information on Unraid functionality and uses.

Thank you, what about networking just on itself, to understand everything about unraid you first need to understand networking and some stuff or will the Unraid docs alone with  Spaceinvader One help me get through everything with just pure basics?

1 minute ago, arman said:

to understand everything about unraid you first need to understand networking

You do not have to be a networking expert to get by in Unraid. A basic understanding of networking-related concepts such as DNS (and dynamic DNS), DHCP, subnets, port forwarding, firewall rules, etc.  is 99% of what you need to know with Unraid.  It does not do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to networking.

Docker networking can get a little tricky but there are post in these forums that can help you understand that better. 

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

You do not have to be a networking expert to get by in Unraid. A basic understanding of networking-related concepts such as DNS (and dynamic DNS), DHCP, subnets, port forwarding, firewall rules, etc.  is 99% of what you need to know with Unraid.  It does not do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to networking.

Docker networking can get a little tricky but there are post in these forums that can help you understand that better. 

What if I don't know anything about networking not even the stuff you listed, I mean sure I heard of it and I tried to port forward and understand some stuff but I failed and gave up beacause of insufficient help. Do you have any recommandations on where to also get known with networking basics?

Thanks