unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta11 Available

How close are we getting to a final release build for 5.0? All these new features are so tempting, but I fear for my data.

given that current build is a step backwards in some respects in order to solve problems... and given that there still seems to be a lot of problems to solve... if I was the one trying to solve these problems then your question would make most likely frustrate me, just slightly.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

given that current build is a step backwards in some respects in order to solve problems...

Well, it's reverted to an older kernel, and has abandoned the Realtek version of the 8111 driver, but I wouldn't say that it was a step backwards - certainly not in comparison to 4.7.

I upgraded to beta 5.0 beta11 from beta 2. It seems to run fine but my problem is every time i click STOP to take the array off line and then try to power it down it just sites there. I click STOP and the page never refreshes to get the power down button. It seems to stop the array but i cant power it down? I made a back up of all the files on my USB stick before i upgraded. Do i just delete all the file on the USB stick and put back the files i backed up before i upgraded?

Any help would be great. Im not a expert at this server stuff so don't use big words. LOL

I upgraded to beta 5.0 beta11 from beta 2. It seems to run fine but my problem is every time i click STOP to take the array off line and then try to power it down it just sites there. I click STOP and the page never refreshes to get the power down button. It seems to stop the array but i cant power it down? I made a back up of all the files on my USB stick before i upgraded. Do i just delete all the file on the USB stick and put back the files i backed up before i upgraded?

Any help would be great. Im not a expert at this server stuff so don't use big words. LOL

Do you have plex media server running or anything that might causing it to read from the array?

You can telnet to the tower and use the command "lsof" and shows which files are opened.

I don't think i have that program running. I don't no how to use telnet! When i tried to use it it asked for a password? I don't have a password on my server to access it. Would you mind giving me a step by step on how to do what you said! Sorry if im being a pain in the rear but its the only way i will learn how to do it.

Thanks.

P.S I did not have this issue when i was running 5.0 beta 2.

If all you are using is 2TB for now I'd stick with 4.7

when it is more stable you can move then.

What many people seem to ignore is that the latest betas include the fix for a long-standing bug which can, potentially, cause corruption/loss of data.  This fix is not (yet?) available in 4.x.

I am very happy to run the current beta on my production server.

I don't think i have that program running. I don't no how to use telnet! When i tried to use it it asked for a password? I don't have a password on my server to access it. Would you mind giving me a step by step on how to do what you said! Sorry if im being a pain in the rear but its the only way i will learn how to do it.

Thanks.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I get the same when running telnet from a terminal window in OSX. Reason is the telnet app tries to log you in with your OSX username. Just press enter one time to get the username prompt, and enter root, then you´re in without entering a password (if you haven't changes settings earlier). Hope it is of any help...

I hope the final version is on the horizon. Want to migrate to unraid but only on a final 5.0 version.

Whats the difference between 5b11 and 5 final?

What if a small change to 5 final causes a new bug, but you've upgraded because it's final.

Titles mean nothing unless it's alpha software.

I have critical data on my UnRAID rig too however given the amount of people who have run the server perfectly fine (including me) without critical data loss bugs I think you should just upgrade anyway.

I'm doing some research into what I suspect might be a bug.

With 5.0-beta10:

A new 1TB drive recently inserted into array (passed pre-clear) failed with 4000 errors. However, it appears to be a driver issue with my motherboard chipset, as the drive was just reported missing (much research gone into this, many others having this same issue). I've had this happen before. SMART status shows no problems. I restarted the server, and the array auto started with a drive un-assigned. I stopped the array, and the gui was showing the "failed" 1Tb drive as a 1Tb drive, with 1.5Tb drive available sector size, and wanted to rebuild and expand the file system. I restarted again, and the drive showed up as 1Tb.

Few issues with this:

• Why did the array auto start when the array was degraded

• Why did the 1Tb drive show up as 1.5Tb, especially when it reported as a 1Tb.

• Why was the drive automatically assigned to the replacement slot.

I'll be posting syslogs and screenshots as soon as I've finished rebuilding the drive.

Possible bug:

5b11. no addons. fresh install

When doing parity check.

If you keep hitting refresh, the "estimated speed" drops drastically each refresh.

you can go from 120MBs to 40MBs in a few min hitting refresh over and over..

it seems to never go back up.

Obviously the normal person wont do this. but is there..

perhaps it is just a display calculation issue and not a real issue?

When i click stop array it seems to stop the array but the browser page just sits there trying to refresh. Once this happens i cant do anything with the server as its like it not there anymore. I don't get the refreshed page which allows you to power down the server. I end up having to do a hard power down!

Can i down grade to a more stable one. From reading here i see beta 9 seems stable. How do i downgrade to that one? I am running no addons just the 5.0 beta11 software.

Thanks.

Seeing that this has been in beta for awhile now, I haven't really been checking on it...

But is it now (b11), as you say, "stable" enough to install on a "production" server.  I use "production" loosely as it's just my personal media server.  I'm not too worried about bugs so long as data corruption is pretty much non-existent (yes, I know stuff can happen when you least expect it), but if that aspect is pretty close to reliability as any "final" version, then that's good enough for me!

I hope the final version is on the horizon. Want to migrate to unraid but only on a final 5.0 version.

What if a small change to 5 final causes a new bug, but you've upgraded because it's final.

I have critical data on my UnRAID rig too however given the amount of people who have run the server perfectly fine (including me) without critical data loss bugs I think you should just upgrade anyway.

When stopping and starting the array the "last checked date/time" is updated as well, but no real check has been done. I would expect this value only to be updated after pressing the 'check' button or a 'scheduled' check...

Just noticed this as well. Stopped my array this morning and rebooted and now it shows me as having done a parity check today.

Seeing that this has been in beta for awhile now, I haven't really been checking on it...

But is it now (b11), as you say, "stable" enough to install on a "production" server.  I use "production" loosely as it's just my personal media server.  I'm not too worried about bugs so long as data corruption is pretty much non-existent (yes, I know stuff can happen when you least expect it), but if that aspect is pretty close to reliability as any "final" version, then that's good enough for me!

Well quite.

In addition, if you have critical data then you should have more than just one copy as it is.

I have 4 copies.

Original -> UnRAID -> Local Backup -> Offsite Backup!

Well quite.

In addition, if you have critical data then you should have more than just one copy as it is.

I have 4 copies.

Original -> UnRAID -> Local Backup -> Offsite Backup!

Not "critical" data; just movies, the majority of which are on DVD's and BluRay discs so I'm not concerned about data loss.  I just don't want to continuously recreate data due to corruption issues as a result of "beta" software.  Other "buggy" features I'm not concerned about either as I run a plain "vanilla" unRAID whose only purpose is to 'serve' movies to dedicated video players in my household.

Well, I maybe should add that stable networking capabilities are very important as well since it's useless if I can't get data to it nor access data already on it...

actually beta11 crashes on shutdown for many of us.

So my crystal ball was quite clear, that this would turn into a large issue as time moves on. Not happy about it or sticking to anyone...

I ran out of space and had to move to a different solution than unRAID for my storage needs temporarily. As I just cant trust it at this stage. Beta 11 took longer to come out than I had hoped and I was ok with an older stable kernal version as per Tom to gain the stability. But seems it has not cured it. I will upgrade just to be able to submit the feedback to help Tom.

What I would like to request is nothing more than 1) stability/speed of unRAID. 2) Embedded smtp client with SSL/TLS support and apcupsd client by TOM, so its offically supported. Just about every offerring out alerts you via email and can gracefully shutdown itself in an event of a power failure.

The frustration is quite simple, dont run anything Tom did not official make and your supported. But the basics are not there for stability and trust. Yes I can load the simplefeatures add-on for a great GUI, complie and add the ssmtp add-on, apcupsd plugin, shutdown script, cleanup scripts, mover scripts, this one shows temps, this one does not show temps, this one does this, that one those that. Edit this one to do this, do that for that. I want and need the basics FIRST and FOREMOST.

Forgive me but Squeezebox does not move me any closer to getting me on unRAID and the long awaited plugin manager will not get us anything we run today official supported because it was installed by this plugin manager. Not that I dont want them just that the carriage came before the horse at this point.

I have much invested and not much to show for it, so I am speaking out loud, how I feel. I would love to know where this is headed for the next beta.