New server setup stalled by network config issue

Go to solution Solved by allenpdx,

I'm new to Unraid and trying to set up an instance for the first time (as a Trial, if it matters). I can boot up my system but network configuration is a mess.

I tried DHCP first. Unraid chose an IP starting with 169.254 which is not a part of my home network address range set through my ASUS router (which like most starts with 192.168). In this DHCP mode I can't communicate with the server or if logged in via Unraid GUI mode it can't reach the outside.

Next tried static IP and assigned to one in my DHCP address range. This time I was able to access the GUI from my Windows box using the IP as my URL (tower.local didn't work). Changed the root password and was presented with the setup page. However it cannot get to the Internet. I can open the Unraid console and ping my PC, but it can't ping the gateway (like my PC can).

Thought to use this opportunity to bind the local IP address for the server on my router so it's always the same assignment. Switched Unraid back to DHCP. It went back to using the 169.254 IP. Weirdly enough my router sees the presence of the server using the IP address I bound to it, but I can't communicate with the server though either IP.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.  Any suggestions?  

EDIT: Trying to install v6.12.0-RC6. My AsRock motherboard has 2 - 1G/2.5G eth ports that Unraid automatically set as a link-bonded pair.

Edited by allenpdx
more info

Figured out at least part of the problem. My router did not like the bonded-pair link Unraid had configured. I turned off bonding in the Unraid settings, and it immediately got correct DHCP info.

My router was just fine with a bonded link on my old Synology NAS. 

• Solution

So I closed the loop on this earlier today. I got my bonded link re-established by changing the type to "802.3ad" instead of the "active-backup" that Unraid chose. Since my router was already configured to support link aggregation on the two eth ports I had it connected to, it found the correct DHCP info again.