New Member New Build

Smokie

Hi all,

So I have picked up a sell R720 with 16 drive bays, have yet to pick up some drives. Dual Xeon 12 core CPU’s. 256gig of ram. It has a 10 gig Nic card with 4 ports.

the raid card is the 710 mini so I think I will have to flash that with the IT firmware to be able to use it? Watching some videos on unraid I believe you’re only as fast as your slowest drive so putting in a cache drive is practice? 

is there any issues I should be aware of running it in a machine like this?

thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Smokie said:

Again thanks for everyone’s input to help a new member lol

I hope you've already gotten all your questions answered somewhere else.

Please keep in mind that your hardware choice is not that common, especially for a newcomer.

Judging by your hardware selection It would look like as if you've already been experienced in the server field and understand the basics.

But if you're not then it's highly advisable to start with a simple consumer platform, learn your ways around and only then move onto significantly more complex, powerful but energy inefficient hardware, if you truly need all that power.

Edited by Lolight
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have a R720 8 drives 192 gig of ram using the same 720p raid but the 512Meg cache. I setup each drive individually in the raid with raid 0 using all ssd 1 TB drives to experiment with. I have 2 parity 1 cache and the rest data. Some SSD's will give you false failures on the server error PDR1001 but they are fine. Been replacing with Samsung EVO SSD with no errors. I do not have a video card installed yet but will be using an NVIDIA card soon. My setup is working pretty good but I am new to unraid so I am still learning.

• Thanks 2

Thanks guys,

Seem to have it running smoothly.. It’s probably a bit overkill for what I need but I plan on having some good app running. Have nextcloud up and running with a bit more config to do.

Unraid seems to be very user friendly so far.