T***NAS Scale to Unraid migration? Will unraid make me happier?

Hello,

I've got a T***NAS Scale Build with following hardware

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8300 CPU @ 3.70GHz
  • 32 GB ECC Ram
  • Gigabyte C246-WU4 Board, 2x Intel NIC 1GBit/s, 10x SATA Ports, 2x M2
  • Disks
    • 2x WD-Red 3TB running as a ZFS Mirror, LZ4, no dedup - some 800 GB more or less important data (backed up offsite via rscyn to a NAS)
    • 1x WD 8TB single, LZ4, no dedup - Plex data (5TB used)
    • 1x WD 12TB single, LZ4, no dedup - Plex data (5TB used)
    • 1x 512GB, m2 flash - download temp
    • 1x 256GB, m2 flash - VM Home Assistant Supervisor and other "Apps Data"
    • 1x 128GB SSD for T***NAS Scale OS
  • USB attached APC Back UPS BX – BX950MI-GR
  • Intel 4 Port GBe NIC

I do run following "Apps"

• wg-easy (wireguard server, could go back to my UDM Pro)
  • plex (with hardware transcoding)
  • download tools
  • uptime-kuma
  • paperless-ngx
  • cloudflared
  • file manager (giving me access to the storage via browser)
  • speedtest
  • minecraft server

and a full Home Assistant Supervisor VM

Do I get that over to Unraid? Probably YES! But how to avoid loosing all the data? (not to keen to download all the plex stuff again)

I may want to buy some (2) 18TB HDDS (what brand/model to buy) and remove the 3 TB WD Reds finally.

Also I may want to upgrade to 10 GBe NIC (removing the Intel 4 Port GBe NIC - don't make much use of it atm).

Any recommendations, how to migrate from T***NAS Scale to Unraid without losing my stuff, ...?

Edited by lelei

Let me just say that Im a very new unraid user, and I too have moved from Truenas.  I and quite happy with the move.  So far, I've had very few permission issues unlike truenas where i was always troubleshooting how to get things to work in truenas.  The plugins/apps seem to install flawlessly.  Im currently using RSYNC to migrate all of my data over to Unraid.  Should take about 6 days to fully transfer everything. Regarding your apps, there seems to be a buttload more apps being offered in the app store.  Try it out for 30days for free.

You may want to pick up 1 extra drive for "parity." read up on parity if youre not familiar with it.

unlike Truenas, there's a cool file manager that you can download from the apps store (krusader) Yes, you can drag and drop from your Truenas in Krusader to unradi.  However, I easily max out my 1 gig connection with rsync.

SpaceInvader one has some awesome tutorials.

Here's on on Parity:  

• Thanks 1

Thanks @russo for the feedback. The Problem is, I will not have TrueNAS running anymore, when I have build the unraid, because it is the same hardware.

The youtube video claims it is now possible to import from TrueNAS?

"Importing existing zpools from other systems such as TrueNAS."

So maybe it is worth investing on a USB stick (which one is best to buy) and on 2 of those 18 or 20 TB HDDs. Create that as a set, so 1 Parity and 18/20 usable - mounting the zpool and migrating the data over and adding the 8 + 12 TB to the "pool"(?) that makes roughly 40 TB usable? Right?

Can I still use the m2 flashes for TEMP drives and VMs (back them up to the pool with parity)?

Edited by lelei
4 hours ago, lelei said:

The youtube video claims it is now possible to import from TrueNAS?

It's still not possible, likely just a mistake by Spaceinvader, he possibly had that pool running with TrueNAS but it wasn't created using the TrueNAS GUI, or it would have zfs on partition #2, not partition #1 as the video shows.

Edit to add: a TrueNAS created pool can be imported if "create swap on new pools" was disabled when the pool was originally created, default is enabled, and IIRC in Core it can be disabled using the GUI, with Scale only manually using the CLI.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Edit to add: a TrueNAS created pool can be imported if "create swap on new pools" was disabled when the pool was originally created, default is enabled, and IIRC in Core it can be disabled using the GUI, with Scale only manually using the CLI.

I've created in CORE, migrated to Scale - where can I check that, you know?

• 2 months later...