ATLAS My Virtualized unRAID server

Did the drive assignments or anything change when you added the Intel RES2SV240?  Or plug and play and unRAID was totally unaffected?

It was plug and play in 5.x.

I powered off the server.

Swaped the cards/cables

Powered it on.

unRAID auto started with all green balls.

I would assume 4.7 would be the same if you had a 4.7 compatible expander aware card.

the bottom line is, 9 drives is not enough to saturate a single channel on an m1015 through an Intel RES2SV240. I'll have to re-test this once i get more drives plugged in..

Yeah, PCIe 2.0 has a per-lane throughput of 500MB/s so you would need ~ 4 HDDs to saturate a single lane. That means an M1015 on x8 would take ~ 30. Obviously, I'm neglecting any overhead involved, but I have no idea what that might be.

No joy in my attempt so far to move my unRaid to the VM.

Starting to get PSOD Spin Count Exceeded.

Time to powerdown, recheck all cards/cables.  Anything else?

Ack. is this on the hardware build in your Sig?

PSOD's  have usually been a driver/hardware issue in my experience. I was getting those with some crappy OEM.tgz drive for a non-Intel card once a while back.

It was happening during boot, not while running.

Is your hardware listed on the ESX whitebox pages?

My sig is my current build.

Built an Atlas clone for ESXi 5

MV8 & M1015 cards.

This is happening when I have the unRaid 5b11 VM up. Fortunately haven't assigned/started the array.

Happened while I was in the web gui checking each drive for MBR status before assigning the drives (per upgrade instructions)

Also had it happen once after that when I booted unRaid up, not assign the drives yet, then did a power down.

Had to take a break...shutting down ESXi box and going to recheck the cables/cards now.

No joy in my attempt so far to move my unRaid to the VM.

Starting to get PSOD Spin Count Exceeded.

Time to powerdown, recheck all cards/cables.  Anything else?

Reseated everything, blew away the VM I had set up for the unRaidProd. Removed a HDD datastore that "might" be having issues since it wasn't being used.

Rebooted ESXi, using the "Test unRaid" VM I was using prior to moving the disks, so far no more PSODs.

Not sure which of the changes above took care of it but I'm happy.

Running a Parity Check now. Once done, I think I will say I'm good with moving my Prod unRaid over to VM and 5b11.

By the end of this week I should have all the parts to have a complete copy of Atlas and had a couple of little questions I didn't see answered anywhere.

Once I'm switched over to the M1015 with expander, should I remove the "hack" that got the MV8's working?

Also, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, I had to use the irqpoll fix in my syslinux.cfg to get my machine stable, I'm assuming I should remove this once I'm not using the MV8's.  Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for any help and Johnm, thanks for such a great tutorial.  Like I mentioned, I have literally copied Atlas part for part (except for some fans) and haven't been happier.

i just ordered some stuff to somewhat copy the ATLAS server

i ordered

M1015

Intel Xeon E3-1230 <<--didnt get the 1240 this was cheaper

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB)

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card HD567XZNL3

im shooting on getting the video to Hardware Passthough for my camera system ive seen sites saying that they can pass that video card

right now im waiting for the Norco RPC-4224 to go on sale which i just missed ;/

as i fill the sata ports up ill look into maybe the  Intel RES2SV240 SAS Expander

im hoping Tom increases the drive limit would be nice to see 40 drives on 1 card

i ordered

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

im shooting on getting the video to Hardware Passthough for my camera system ive seen sites saying that they can pass that video card

Err one major flaw. the SCM only has PCIe 8x/4X slots

the video card is PCIe 2.1 16x

you would probably be better off with an Intel desktop board (or similar?) for this  setup.

For those following the thread, I had reported a few weeks ago about drives starting to drop on atlas.

ever since I switched to the Expander this has not happened once.

I have even added 2-3 more drives for 10 total now.

I don't know what the root of the problem was. I'll still go with slow spin ups or a bad cable?

I'm glad to report this thought. we'll see if this is a cure.

Edit:

I ran a quick drive speed test on my virtual unRAID (inside Atlas) using the script from Weebotech and UhClem.

root@Goliath:/boot# dskt.sh bg b c d e f g h i j k l m
sdf = 135.18 MB/sec
sdg = 131.97 MB/sec
sde = 134.50 MB/sec
sdl = 129.66 MB/sec
sdd = 124.88 MB/sec
sdc = 132.12 MB/sec
sdh = 123.85 MB/sec
sdk = 137.78 MB/sec
sdb = 469.86 MB/sec
sdm = 112.18 MB/sec
sdj = 127.38 MB/sec

i ordered

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Err one major flaw. the SCM only has PCIe 8x/4X slots

the video card is PCIe 2.1 16x

you would probably be better off with an Intel desktop board (or similar?) for this  setup.

Your right... i looked this morning to see when my stuff was coming in and noticed the motherboard didn't have a x16 slot

i thought about a desktop board but i wanted IPMI since it will somewhat be headless

i have a SuperMicro Atom D510 and boy that IPMI is so nice :)

ill have to order a x1 slot video card and hope that works with passthough