New to Unraid

Hello

I have attempted to build a Plex unraid server for my home a few years ago. I started it up and attempted to config it and use it to store a few movies/TV shows on it. Things got in the way and it was place on the back burner. I am getting back to it due to the fact that I may be moving for work outside of the country and can't take all the movies my family owns with us. I am not a tech savvy person. I built this thing by watching videos and it did work. I gust don't think all the settings are right or I am placing the content in the right way. 

What's the best way to copy movies/TV shows to work with Plex?

What's the best way to organize them within unraid?

I will provide spec of server below. I also downloaded the diagnostics like I was informed to do by another user but don't see that it downloaded as a zip file.

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Gaming B8-CF Version x.x - s/n: Default string

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F6. Dated: 04/24/2017

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 128 KiB, 512 KiB, 3 MB

Memory: 8 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500 
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 5.10.28-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1j

I have 3 6TB drives and 1 SSD 500GB

I only plain to run plex for 1 or 2(rarely 2) movies at a time. Like to store full quality movies reg dvd & Blu ray.  Not looking to do much else at this time. 

Thanks for your help

Pete

Edited by trurl
delete lots of attached files that should have been a single zip

Your shares and their settings look good, except I question whether or not the "downloads" share should be cache:prefer. That setting is going to try to keep its files on cache, and if any overflow to the array, they will be moved back to cache. Usually I would expect cache:yes for a share by that name, but if it is strictly a temporary destination for files that get moved to other shares by 'arrs then that makes sense.

53 minutes ago, trurl said:

our shares and their settings look good, except I question whether or not the "downloads" share should be cache:prefer. That setting is going to try to keep its files on cache, and if any overflow to the array, they will be moved back to cache. Usually I would expect cache:yes for a share by that name, but if it is strictly a temporary destination for files that get moved to other shares by 'arrs then that makes sense.

The plan was to download movies/TV shows with MKV to the cache then once downloaded mover would place it I the right spot that's needed. I can change the prefer to yes if you think that would be better.

59 minutes ago, vonbankfamily09 said:

The plan was to download movies/TV shows with MKV to the cache then once downloaded mover would place it I the right spot that's needed. I can change the prefer to yes if you think that would be better.

As long as after download the files get moved to a share that is set to Yes then I would leave the setting for the downloads share as Prefer for performance reasons.  The only other thing to watch out for is to make sure the Minimum Free Space setting for the pool is set to something sensible to avoid ever accidentally over-filling the pool as if it gets completely full this can cause problems.

1 hour ago, vonbankfamily09 said:

to the cache then once downloaded mover would place it I the right spot that's needed

Mover won't move it to another share. It will just move it from cache to array for cache:yes shares, and from array to cache for cache:prefer shares.

That's why I wondered if you had some other application such as 'arrs that would be moving your downloads to another share.

So, with that share cache:prefer, mover will NOT move it to the array. That setting moves TO cache if any are on the array. To get the files for a share moved from cache to array, it must be set cache:yes