Ran xfs_repair and now HDD is unmountable/"not encrypted" [everything lost]

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

[edit: summary: xfs_repair used on wrong partition or whole disk. Instead of refusing to repair because RAW/unknown file system (like chkdsk does) it just destroyed the data. ]

Greetings,

I started array in maintenance mode, list disks and did xfs_repair -v on my HDD (array, not cache).
To my surprise, multiple errors appeared. And after restart the disk is "not encrypted".

What now? How can I at least copy data and reformat?

The HDD physically is OK, just "xfs_repair -v" destroyed my data. How to recover it? Are there any header/partition backups in unRAID?
"Unmountable: Volume not encrypted"
Perhaps I selected whole disk instead of specific partition to repair, hmm. Under Windows in case of trying to use chkdsk on unsupported disk or partition it simply refuses to check.

/dev/sdb1: UUID="78521ded-6ac7-40ca-84e6-7095eb84e6d7" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="44a21b7f-09aa-4683-acd6-8e1762050e43"
/dev/md1p1: UUID="78521ded-6ac7-40ca-84e6-7095eb84e6d7" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"

Edited by CobraPL
8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you run the xfs_repair command from the GUI (recommended and safest) or from the command line.   If from the command line what was the exact command you used as getting it wrong can potentially cause damage.

GUI had xfs_repair option only for cache, not for array disk. For array one it was simply absent. So I used command line xfs_repair -v but probably on wrong partition.

Edited by CobraPL
1 minute ago, CobraPL said:

GUI had xfs_repair only for cache, not for array disk. So I used command line xfs_repair -v but probably on wrong partition.

If you did not use the right device name then I think you may have corrupted the drive content, particularly if it was an encrypted drive.

if you had asked for help earlier and provided diagnostics so we could see the situation we could have told you how to get it to show up in the GUI, or what was the correct command for doing it from the command line.

So this "xfs_repair -v" destroys data in case of wrong disk/parition selected. Unlike chkdsk for Windows, which refuses to work in case it can't detect supported filesystem.
And I guess there is no backup of hdd's headers and other sensitive data stored on e.g. cache or pen? VeraCrypt for example had special CD/Iso with headers backed up.

Edited by CobraPL
  • Solution
1 minute ago, CobraPL said:

So this "xfs_repair -v" destroys data in case of wrong disk/parition selected. Unlike chkdsk for Windows, which refuses to work in case it can't detect supported filesystem.
And I guess there is no backup of hdd's headers and other sensitive data stored on e.g. cache or pen? VeraCrypt for example had special CD/Iso with headers backed up.

I do not know if it does, but if you cannot tell us what command you actually used and what sort of output it produced then anything we say is only going to be a guess.   I am not sure how xfs_repair interacts with encrypted drives as I have never personally bothered to use xfs encrypted drives.   You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread.

• CobraPL changed the title to Ran xfs_repair and now HDD is unmountable/"not encrypted" [everything lost]