Upgrade to 6.12.0 won’t boot. How to save config and start fresh?

I went to 6.12.0 and system won’t boot. I’ve tried a half dozen times. In the past if I let it sit for a couple hours eventually it would (completely anecdotal) so trying that tonight. In the event it doesn’t want to boot tomorrow I’m a little limited on options. I don’t have a spare monitor so it won’t be easy.  Is there a way I can take the USB and copy a config over to my desktop, create a new USB from scratch then put the copied config back onto that USB  that it will keep the settings for all my apps? 

1 hour ago, FlyingTexan said:

I went to 6.12.0 and system won’t boot. I’ve tried a half dozen times. In the past if I let it sit for a couple hours eventually it would (completely anecdotal) so trying that tonight. In the event it doesn’t want to boot tomorrow I’m a little limited on options. I don’t have a spare monitor so it won’t be easy.  Is there a way I can take the USB and copy a config over to my desktop, create a new USB from scratch then put the copied config back onto that USB  that it will keep the settings for all my apps? 

Do you have a 11 series CPU? On user  could not get system to boot until they set this in i915.conf

Known issues
Crashes related to i915 driver
We are aware that some 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake systems are experiencing crashes related to the i915 iGPU. If your Rocket Lake system crashes under Unraid 6.12.0, open a web terminal and type this, then reboot:

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Setting this option may result in higher power use but it may resolve this issue for these GPUs.

Yes it’s a 11600k. So there’s a known issue of it crashing 11th gen intel but they release it as a stable version? 

that seems to be from terminal which I can’t get into. I think I’ll just do a new install back to 6.11.5 if I can keep my app settings.

Edited by FlyingTexan
9 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

Yes it’s a 11600k. So there’s a known issue of it crashing 11th gen intel but they release it as a stable version? 

that seems to be from terminal which I can’t get into. I think I’ll just do a new install back to 6.11.5 if I can keep my app settings.

you need to edit or create /config/modprobe.d/i915.conf on flash

then put into the file options i915 enable_dc=0

17 hours ago, SimonF said:

@FlyingTexan This worked for me with the i5-11600 on one of my servers.  I manually edited i915.conf in modprobe.d and added the options line. 

This is a Linux kernel issue with the version in 6.12.0 and the Rocket Lake (11th gen.) CPUs and low power mode.  Not an Unraid problem per se and hopefully a future Linux kernel in Unraid will address the issue.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Hoopster said:

@FlyingTexan This worked for me with the i5-11600 on one of my servers.  I manually edited i915.conf in modprobe.d and added the options line. 

This is a Linux kernel issue with the version in 6.12.0 and the Rocket Lake (11th gen.) CPUs and low power mode.  Not an Unraid problem per se and hopefully a future Linux kernel in Unraid will address the issue.

I don't think people really enjoy it when someone at the counter always says "Hey it's not my fault".  Regardless of where the issue is, they released a version calling it stable and this isn't some minor oversight it's an entire generation of CPUs that's are relatively recent. This is a product people are paying for and not all of us are that tech savvy. 

7 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

Regardless of where the issue is, they released a version calling it stable and this isn't some minor oversight it's an entire generation of CPUs that's are relatively recent. This is a product people are paying for and not all of us are that tech savvy. 

Sorry, but I don't feel this is valid.  It would be true if you bought a hardware system with Unraid installed and configured.  Just as it would be for a new iPhone or a toaster.  Unraid is a base software platform that is capable of running on the most primitive x86 system up through the top end HPC system.  Some assembly (and configuration) required.

I have sat at 6.10.3 as I wasn't feeling great about some of the issues in the kernel of the previous stable release.  This is an option for you, else follow the advice given above and determine what configuration changes you need to make to run this latest release.

Just now, ConnerVT said:

Sorry, but I don't feel this is valid.  It would be true if you bought a hardware system with Unraid installed and configured.  Just as it would be for a new iPhone or a toaster.  Unraid is a base software platform that is capable of running on the most primitive x86 system up through the top end HPC system.  Some assembly (and configuration) required.

I have sat at 6.10.3 as I wasn't feeling great about some of the issues in the kernel of the previous stable release.  This is an option for you, else follow the advice given above and determine what configuration changes you need to make to run this latest release.

Who cares? It's an OS that if you install it bricks your system. That's not a stable release. This isn't some obscure server part from 1995 that I have in my system it's an 11th gen mainstream CPU. You think anyone doing an initial install is going to look back several releases and start there? No. They released something as STABLE that wrecks systems. That's not stable. I don't care what you tell yourself to justify it it's not a stable version.

I would not normally enter into this fray of opinions. But I have broken my own rule of waiting for the next release and hence broke my system. 

What does STABLE mean? What does the UPGRADE ASSISTANT do?

Not a STABLE release with so many people having issues, and if it does not work on all systems then why release it. Or at least put a CAVEAT at the TOP of the GUI with known issues.

Edited by grumpy
38 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

No. They released something as STABLE that wrecks systems.

So, because there may be an issue on some systems, Limetech should not be allowed to release a version of the OS that is stable on most systems and provides features some have been waiting for years to have?

I actually blame myself more than Limetech because this issue I (and you, it appears) experienced is clearly documented in the release notes which I failed to read.  Based on that, I would have known the solution before I experienced the problem and I could have decided if I wanted to upgrade to 6.12.0 as I had been warned.  I usually read the release notes before performing any upgrade and forgot to do so this time.

Known issues

We are aware that some 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake systems are experiencing crashes 
related to the i915 iGPU. If your Rocket Lake system crashes under Unraid 6.12.0, 
open a web terminal and type this, then reboot:

Setting this option may result in higher power use but it may resolve this issue for these GPUs.

• Like 1

It did not List my system as a known issue, but like you I blame myself. I have no need to upgrade other than security.  No Idea if Xeon W2155 is 11th Gen but 6.12 plain jane will not boot past the startup GUI.

Does not change the fact that Unraid has always been tooted as the NAS on everything. Yes I realize that Linux is probably the issue but as an end user I do not follow that information around.

Now I need to rebuild my USB drive to be somewhat like before. Not knowing that the online usb backup was not a complete backup and need to redo all the passwords from a system that has been setup for a couple of years. Would have preferred all the data being wiped out as that is mirrored to a Synology.

Anybody know if there is a password file on the USB key that was installed originally? I would not think the upgrade attempt would have wiped out the configuration files from the original.

2 hours ago, FlyingTexan said:

Who cares? It's an OS that if you install it bricks your system. That's not a stable release. This isn't some obscure server part from 1995 that I have in my system it's an 11th gen mainstream CPU. You think anyone doing an initial install is going to look back several releases and start there? No. They released something as STABLE that wrecks systems. That's not stable. I don't care what you tell yourself to justify it it's not a stable version.

Are you ruming the latest bios available for your system?

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

So, because there may be an issue on some systems, Limetech should not be allowed to release a version of the OS that is stable on most systems and provides features some have been waiting for years to have?

I actually blame myself more than Limetech because this issue I (and you, it appears) experienced is clearly documented in the release notes which I failed to read.  Based on that, I would have known the solution before I experienced the problem and I could have decided if I wanted to upgrade to 6.12.0 as I had been warned.  I usually read the release notes before performing any upgrade and forgot to do so this time.

Known issues

We are aware that some 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake systems are experiencing crashes 
related to the i915 iGPU. If your Rocket Lake system crashes under Unraid 6.12.0, 
open a web terminal and type this, then reboot:

Yes, to release a product knowing isn’t has a major bug is a fail. This isn’t “some” systems it’s probably one of the most used CPUs out there