SYBA SY-VIA-150R PCI SATA / IDE Combo Card - sees no drives

SYBA SY-VIA-150R PCI SATA / IDE Combo Card is on the approved card list.  I ordered the reference link from NewEgg, the card GOT was a IO Crest XXX but the chipset and the sticker on the back say VIA 150r.  Now, my intention was to use this as a hardware RAID 0 (via the BIOS on the card) to put 2 Raptor drives (80gb, 10k) together for a cache drive to use for my initial data load. 

Problem is, it doesn't see any drives. None. I can get into the BIOS but nothing shows up (says no drives attached). I have had this in the MB bare, no other SATA cards, with on/Board on, in different slots, etc.  Nothing. It's not broken, broken, it doesnt cause the machine issues and the BIOS is there, but no drives.  It has Windows drivers, but of course, no good to me right now...

Just realized that I haven't let it come into unRAID all the way, to see if the drives show up there -but 99% sure that if it doesnt show up at post (meaning: it shows drives attached) it's not going to pass them off to whatever OS boots after that.

Anyway, I can send it back to NewEgg.com but I wanted to see if anyone here has had any issues. 

Aside from that, does my idea of RAID0'ing some faster drives via hardware on the card AHEAD of unraid booting hold water?  Physically, it seems like it should take those two 80gb and make them 1 160gb, but I have learned to not hold my breath, re: unRAID.

Any suggestions on a DIFFERENT card that would work in this capacity?  I don't need regular PCI, but that would be great since I am running a PCIe OEM intel NIC which has given me good performance in that slot and  the pciE or whatever slot has the 8 port SATA card in it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

A cache drive is not helpful for an initial data load. It is faster to copy data to the protected array directly than to copy it to cache and then wait for unRaid to empty the cache to the protected array.

It is possible, though, to configure a RAID0 array and use it ad cache. It needs to be a real hardware RAID which I don't think you have. I am using and ARECA ARC-1200 to create a RAID0 parity disk and it works well.

Thanks for the tip.  You are right, using it at cache for after the fact might be a better solution.

My original problem with no disks showing is that the drives I was using were 80gb Raptors that were that smaller form factor that were installed inside a larger, finned heat sink.  They have the built in controller and then the drive casing extends the SATA and power (to make them fullsize HDD enclsoures). These are Dell OEM drives, I have several of them and they work in all the other situations I have tried.  I put in 'regular' fullsize Raptors and the SYBA card sees them, allows me into the SATA card BIOS and allows me to setup JBOD, RAID0, etc.

However...

unRAID doesn't see the drives. If I got to devices the only thing listed are the 4 WD drives that are not attached to the SYBA card.  Any ideas?  I will attach the lastest syslog if someone can take a look (see some suspicious things, but I don't know how unRAID reacts to varying hardware devices normally... so I am not much help to myself).

syslog.pdf

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do, re: the drives not showing up in unRaid?

Any suggestions on a cheap 1 or 2 port PCI (no -Ex1,x4) SATA card?  At this point I don't care if it does RAID or whatever on it's own  - I just need to fill that last slot on my drive enclosure (drive #15).

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know why the VIA didn't work.  Possibly an older version of unRAID had drivers for it that the current ones don't.  You could test this theory by working your way backwards through older versions of unRAID and seeing if they will detect the card.  I doubt this is really worthwhile, though.  A $9 replacement card is worth saving you a few hours of testing, methinks.

Archived