(solved) hard drive smart reports

i have no problem admitting that i am not an expert, or even a novice when it come to smart reports.

i have attached a screen shot of the UnMenu report. i am in the process of clearing drive 16 and using it to replace the parity. i have already been issued a RMA for the parity drive, but what i am wondering is about the 5 seagate drives and 5 WD drives. i have checked and they are ALL still under warranty. would it be worth the shipping (about $20 per drive) or apply towards a 3TB drive (currently $119 for a WD on newegg)

thank you for looking for me.

Screen-Shot-2011-08-20-at-7_50.25-PM-2.png.bd854ef15e38ddf690650ff01fa55df4.png

i have no problem admitting that i am not an expert, or even a novice when it come to smart reports.

i have attached a screen shot of the UnMenu report. i am in the process of clearing drive 16 and using it to replace the parity. i have already been issued a RMA for the parity drive, but what i am wondering is about the 5 seagate drives and 5 WD drives. i have checked and they are ALL still under warranty. would it be worth the shipping (about $20 per drive) or apply towards a 3TB drive (currently $119 for a WD on newegg)

Is your power supply adequate?  With all the spin-retry errors, on multiple disks, I wonder if it is able to spin up all the drives at the same time?  Other than that, the one disk with 76 re-allocated sectors is one to watch.

Joe L.

Several drives are troubling.

Worst is the parity drive.  At 373 reallocated and over 1700 pending, this drive is definitely toast.  RMA it.

Disk 9 with 76 reallocated sectors is also a problem.  I'd RMA it too.

The two disks with ata_errors (disk 13 and the RAW disk at the bottom) - you should pull actual smart reports and look at the recently logged ATA errors.  Frequently these errors indicate cabling problems.  But since these errors never disappear, the problem may have been fixed long ago.  Again. only the smart report will tell you for sure.

The load cycle counts can be slowed using the WD idle tool.  

bjp999,

i have already been issued a RMA for the parity, so that one is being taken care of. as far as disk 9 goes, that one is under warranty, so i will RMA that one also.

disk 13 is also under warranty, so i will run the test and then decide what i want to do with it

the RAW one is the cache drive, so i might just reformat it and see what happens

as far as the rest of them with errors, should i just RMA them or are the errors not severe enough to worry about?

thanks again

bjp999,

i have already been issued a RMA for the parity, so that one is being taken care of. as far as disk 9 goes, that one is under warranty, so i will RMA that one also.

disk 13 is also under warranty, so i will run the test and then decide what i want to do with it

the RAW one is the cache drive, so i might just reformat it and see what happens

as far as the rest of them with errors, should i just RMA them or are the errors not severe enough to worry about?

thanks again

"Errors" is a reative term.  These are smart attribute values.  There is some logic to color code some of the values yellow or red the I coded into myMain.  More to draw the owner's attention to the attribute to investigate.  Not to make a definitive diagnosis whether it is a drive failure or not.

We know reallocated sectors and pending sectors are attributes to watch closely.  Other ones, like multi zone error rate, have been problematic for some users when the values get high.  The "reported uncorrect" attribute (on disk 13) is documented to mean "Number of errors that could not be corrected using hardware ECC."  I don't think I have seen that one before but sounds a bit scary.  But you'd need to do some investigation to see if others are reporting problems here.

As I said, the ata_error_count is frequently incremented when cabling is not making a good connection.  You need to look at the smart report to see if they are problems are not.

Of your drives, the ones I'd be concerned about (in order of concern) are:

parity (obvious reasons)

disk10 (reallocated sectors)

disk12 (reallocated sector - keep an eye on it, if it keeps increasing RMA the drive)

disk13 (reported incorrect - need to investigate)

RAW (investigate ata error count - look at how long ago last one happened - if recent, you likely have a cabling problem to the drive)

The only drives that are critical are parity and disk10.

The other thing that is concerning are your drive temps.  I don't like to see my drives go over 40C, and definitely would not let them run over 45C.  You have 13 drives in the 40s, and 5 at or above 45.  You really need to research better cooling options IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

parity and cache both replaced

new WD 3TB drive precleared and installed.

parity rebuild in progress now

new 120mm fan plate installed and temps now in the mid to low 30's during parity check

thanks for all the help

christopher

If you update myMain (updated with the rest of unmenu), the "HPA ?" warnings should go away.  Let me know if this does not work.