Unable to determine if drive failure or other issue

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey folks, I have read errors on multiple drives occurring on my host, there has been no recent power failure or anything that could trigger multiple drive failures and most of my drives are relatively new. I'm trying to pinpoint if there is an actual drive failure or if there could be an issue with cabling or my LSI. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reading SMART data. Short self-tests past without issue, extended self-tests pass for 2/3 of the drives with the 3rd one aborting with the reason being "aborted by host." Was wondering if someone could help me review my diagnostics to see where the issue lies.

Thre read errors were showing on sdg (parity), sdh, and sdf

Edited by Ghostie

For additional details, this has occurred one time prior and I reseat all the cables to see if the issue persisted. After doing so I was able to rebuild the disabled disk, but the issue has re-presented itself after I attempted to move ~5TB from cache to array via mover. I'm trying to isolate what component is failed and am utterly confused between a failed drive, the LSI card, or the SAS cables. I've done another reseat and am attempting another rebuild (prior rebuild on disk 7 failed towards almost the very end with approx 1 TB left and started generating read errors again). I've also swapped the SAS cables on the LSI card's ports to see if they perhaps start occurring elsewhere. The disabled disk only has power on hours of 2739 (3m 22d)

• Solution

It's not logged as a disk problem, and SMART looks OK, could be a power/connection issue, I've also seen some possible issues with recent model large capacity Seagate drives and LSI SAS2 controllers, so if you have a different one where you could connect those those it might be worth a try.

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It's not logged as a disk problem, and SMART looks OK, could be a power/connection issue, I've also seen some possible issues with recent model large capacity Seagate drives and LSI SAS2 controllers, so if you have a different one where you could connect those those it might be worth a try.

Currently using an LSI 9207-8i flashed in IT mode purchased from a reputable seller on ebay, unfortunately dont have any alternative LSI cards just a SATA expander board which is less optimal from my research. Do you know if there are specific models of issue from LSI that dont work well with high capacity Seagate drives? Currently attempting another rebuild on the diasabled drive (disk 7), do you know if the prior rebuild couldve failed due to the read errors spanning multiple drives (inclusive of parity)? Additionally, any guidance for troubleshooting potential power/cabling issues? Drives are currently split across 2 6 pin ports on the PSU which is a 750w EVGA gold, no GPU in host main power consumption is from CPU which is i9-10900 and drives that are 8 HDDs, 4 sata SSDs and 2x m.2 nvmes

• 2 weeks later...