when pre clearing - Warning "frisk found GPT partition table"

Hi,

i started to pre clear disks and got this massage saying that f-disk found GPT partition table which is not supported (well, those drives were previously installed in my hackintosh, so the are GPT).

i started the pre clear anyway to see what will happen. anyway can you tell me please if the disk will work? or should i reformat it to MBR?

if i reformat to MBR after the pre clear, should i pre clear it again before using it in unraid?

Thanks!

Hi,

i started to pre clear disks and got this massage saying that f-disk found GPT partition table which is not supported (well, those drives were previously installed in my hackintosh, so the are GPT).

i started the pre clear anyway to see what will happen. anyway can you tell me please if the disk will work? or should i reformat it to MBR?

if i reformat to MBR after the pre clear, should i pre clear it again before using it in unraid?

Thanksgivings!

The preclear will work just fine. No need to do anything special.

Just let it finish.  It will replace the GPT partition with an MBR partition for you id the disk is less than 2.2TB.

If you have problems, make sure you use the newest version of the preclear script as it has changed for recent releases of unfaid.

Joe L.

Hi again,

Iam having some serious troubles with pre clear

when i open more than 1 session at a time the machine reboots. the first time it would reboot after 10 minutes. i managed to "fix" it (or so i thought) by setting USB speed in BIOS to Hi-Speed. but now it got rebooted after 8 hours. it's impossible...i can't imagine waiting 4 days to clear all of the 3x 2TB drives one by one (and its just the start! i have another 4x 1TB drives!).

can i NOT use pre clear and just let the unRAID handle it? i don't care anymore that it will take off the array for 20 hours, because i can't even get it started....

now I'm also concerned - what if i will have the unraid and the array running , and it will reboot like that every couple of hours????

i think I'm using the latest pre clear. it says version 1,12. the unraid I'm using is 4.7 final. USB formatet to FAT (not FAT32 - it won't boot otherwise). mother board is ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA

Thanks

If the server is rebooting, you have a hardware issue. You can proceed, but do not expect the issue to go away just because you  ignore it by not running the preclear script on your drives.

It is a burn in exercise for all your disks AND server hardware.

I would suspect memory first. Are the timing, clock speed and voltage set properly for your specific ram. Some BIOS get it right automatically, many do not.

Power supply is suspect next, especially if not a single rail supply.

You should monitor the syslog for error conditions on the disks.

Unstable hardware will be unstable regardless of the OS. Good luck with figuring it out.

Joe L.

Archived