Its been a while and i've forgotten - disk rebuild

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Guys, i've got a 16TB drive in my array and want to swap it for an 18TB, already precleared and tested. Is it just a simple removal of the smaller and swap in the larger after which that drive will be rebuild itself from parity? I think thats the way to do it but ist been a while and i have this worry that the drive will only be rebuilt to a maximum of 16TB ie the original sie of the removed drive? Or will i have at the end of the rebuild a rebuilt drive with an extra 2TB of available space? I've not touched Unraid for ages!!

Thanks.

Yes, dual 18TB parity.

Its that last bit confirming that filestore IS expanded that i was doubtful about.

In the past i'm sure that i ended up with a 'like for like' copy of the smaller drive but on a larger drive and then needed to do some jiggery pokery

to sort that out.

Anyways thanks for confirming!

10 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Yes, dual 18TB parity.

Its that last bit confirming that filestore IS expanded that i was doubtful about.

In the past i'm sure that i ended up with a 'like for like' copy of the smaller drive but on a larger drive and then needed to do some jiggery pokery

to sort that out.

Anyways thanks for confirming!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it took a reboot to get the extra space made available but no more than that.   Not tested it myself recently to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we'll see soon hopefully. I pulled a 12TB drive and have replaced it with an 18TB. Expected rebuild time showed as 3days 5hrs'ish so away it went. 2 days into the rebuild the system rebooted (why??) overnight and i've had to restart it. On this second attempt i'm again 2 days into it, due to finish lunchtime tomorrow. Let's see what happens eh. The electric bill will be taking the hit again!