Parity swap for larger drive slow - est. 33days

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello all,

I swapped out my parity drive (8TB WD white label) for an 18TB Seagate Exos yesterday.

Parity swap process was doing alright at 180MB/s to start and settled at 140ish. This morning I went and checked how it's doing and its running at 3.5MB/s and saying it'll take 37+ days

Hardware is:

Intel 13100

Asus B760-i Gaming Wifi

32GB ram

3x8TB WD White label

1 x18TB Exos (parity)

Running Unraid 6.12.2

VMs are turned off and I've stopped my 2 dockers running (plex and rflood). CPU usage is sitting between 15 and 20%

Anyone have an idea of whats going wrong? Thanks for any help, also, I'm new so bare with me as im getting used to the OS still and probably have the odd thing configured wrong.

tower-diagnostics-20230722-0752.zip

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

You seem to have something writing to disk1 which will slow down the parity swap drastically.  I would expect things should speed up when that stops.

Yeah you’re correct, I finally noticed it a few minutes after I posted!

For some reason Mover started up over night and was killing the parity swap speed. I restarted the server and it seems ok now, going along at 170~MBs.

The dashboard says mover is disabled during parity so I have no idea how and/or why it started up. Thanks though!

Just now, Jimmythetee said:

Yeah you’re correct, I finally noticed it a few minutes after I posted!

For some reason Mover started up over night and was killing the parity swap speed. I restarted the server and it seems ok now, going along at 170~MBs.

The dashboard says mover is disabled during parity so I have no idea how and/or why it started up. Thanks though!

Not sure if that applies to Parity swap/rebuild operations :( 

You could install my Parity Check Tuning plugin and then in its settings enable the option to Pause array operations while mover is running.   This solves the problem of mover starting for any reason while the array operation is in progress.   Whether you then want to use any of the other features the plugin provides is up to you.