System wont boot after update [6.12.2 > 6.12.3]

Go to solution Solved by KeyBoardDabbler,

I was running on version 6.12.2, i confirmed all plugins are upto date and stopped all running containers. I proceeded to update to 6.12.3, I got the notification stating it was okay to now reboot, before doing so i took a copy of the flash drive.

My system goes past the bios screen and motherboard displays FF which is normal when unraid starts but the monitor stays active and only displays black. I have left it on multiple occasion like this for a period of time but the system does not go any further. 

After searching the forum i then tried the following.

• In case of corruption, reformatted the usb using the unraid create tool and transferred the config folder from backup across. Same issue.
  • With a brand new usb drive, using the unraid create tool on version 6.12.3 and transferred the config folder from backup across. Same issue.
  • With the new usb i used unraid create tool once again and build version 6.12.3 but this time i did not copy across my config folder. System booted and i monitor loaded login prompt. I was able to access the webui login page via local network.

The above has identified it not hardware related but a issue with my config folder? I also read that majority of the time when unraid does not boot its due to a installed plugin and to boot in safe mode. I can not do this due to the black screen (monitor is active though, blue not amber led)

Following the guidance in the above link i tried editing the file syslinux/syslinux.cfg that controls the boot menu on the USB drive and move the 'default' entry to the section for Safe boot but the same issue persists and i cant boot the OS.

Can someone please help with how i should proceed next.

FLASH: scandisk cruzer fit 8GB

CPU: i9-10900

MB: z590 aorus master

RAM: 96GB DDR4 3200mhz

GPU: GTX-1060 mini

GPU: GTX-1060 mini

Edited by KeyBoardDabbler

after trying to boot and failing, maybe pull the usb to another computer and check if there is a diagnostics file in logs/ that has the current date? If so attaching that here would be helpful.

Are you able to add some config files and not others to boot the system or does it freeze with any config present? 

Do you have to upgrade to 6.12.3 or can you run a previous working version until the next update? 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cYnIx said:

check if there is a diagnostics file in logs/ that has the current date?

It looks like the only diagnostic zips available are the ones that I have generated in the past.

4 hours ago, cYnIx said:

Are you able to add some config files and not others to boot the system or does it freeze with any config present? 

Thankyou for the suggestions, this is why I wanted guidance because I am not sure which files are safe to try this with without messing something up.

I will try this later

4 hours ago, cYnIx said:

Do you have to upgrade to 6.12.3 or can you run a previous working version until the next update?

No not atall, I will try rolling back the version. My only concern is that I made a backup before rebooting the server, this was after clicking update in the webui. 

I guess I can use the create tool and build 6.12.2 and try copying my config folder across or will this not work due to being taken after the update.

I will have a backup of the flash drive but it will be store on the nvme drive in the server 🤦