APC 1000VA Power Saving Green Back-UPS XS $89 - Free Shipping

Johnm

Wow, this is a great price. I paid regular price for my XS1000 (I think they're the same? though on the site the item number is BX1000) because I was in the store, saw it, and it was an impulsive buy -- but definitely no buyer's remorse! Hurricane Irene hit this weekend, and though we didn't lose power, there were a few flickers, and I heard the backup "clicking" -- which I guess means doing it's job? Anyways, the server stayed online during the storm, so it did its job indeed!

Wow, this is a great price. I paid regular price for my XS1000 (I think they're the same? though on the site the item number is BX1000) because I was in the store, saw it, and it was an impulsive buy -- but definitely no buyer's remorse! Hurricane Irene hit this weekend, and though we didn't lose power, there were a few flickers, and I heard the backup "clicking" -- which I guess means doing it's job? Anyways, the server stayed online during the storm, so it did its job indeed!

Ditto on the Irene comments. No lost power or even the lights flickering but once or twice I did here it do the battery click. Familiar sound to me with the old electrical lines in my old house built in the early 1930s. Whenever the compressor kicks in on my 12000 BTU window AC unit that's in the same room as the UPS I hear the battery click so it's getting a good workout.

I paid $105 shipped a few months back so this is a good deal.

Yeah, I need to figure out what I should keep on there. I don't want to overload it (though it is 600 watts, and I haven't seen my server go near 100 watts yet), plus I have a 50" plasma, and Popcorn Hour that get the most use -- should probably just stick with those, and let the server shut itself down, then the APC (don't think the PCH nor TV need to be shut down "gracefully")

Heh I call shenanigans on the officeMax spec listing:

Half Load Runtime: 18 minutes

Full Load Runtime: 120 minutes

full load is probably 12 minutes...  they just added an extra zero.

Edit: I was wrong...

According to the APC web-page:

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=24

Half-Load (300 watts) runtime: 16 minutes

Full Load (600 watts) runtime:  5 minutes

There is a nice interactive graph on this page for other loads

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1000G

It shows 28 minutes at a 200 watt load.   (Very nice if powering an unRAID server)

120 minutes is the no load run-time.  (maximum possible run time with nothing connected), a great number for the marketing folks, nearly useless for people who actually use the UPS to power something.  >:(

Well I had to shut down the server so I could unplug it and plug into the new UPS. But yes they are both USB.

doh

i forgot about that part... power.

I am so used to double and triple redundant power at work where each PSU is on a separate ups on a separate circuit.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal, I picked up 2, one for the new (and my first) unraid server that I'm building and the other for my htpc and tivo (Tivo takes far far too long to reboot when power goes out), I was on the fence and naturally my power dropped for about 3 seconds while I was looking at the page considering the purchase...

Well I did order 2, and when I checked the order online it was fine, now several hours later it's showing me as backordered instead of the "expected to ship in 1 to 3 days" that I had earlier, no email from officemax letting me know that the order status changed either, hope they still fill my order at the advertised price.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal, I picked up 2, one for the new (and my first) unraid server that I'm building and the other for my htpc and tivo (Tivo takes far far too long to reboot when power goes out), I was on the fence and naturally my power dropped for about 3 seconds while I was looking at the page considering the purchase...

Well I did order 2, and when I checked the order online it was fine, now several hours later it's showing me as backordered instead of the "expected to ship in 1 to 3 days" that I had earlier, no email from officemax letting me know that the order status changed either, hope they still fill my order at the advertised price.

They shipped my the next day after putting it on backorder, so I got them both at the discount.  Have both my PC and the Unraid + modem and switch hooked into the one, the other one is my Av receiver, HTPC, TV and Tivo.  MAN does my TV draw power, I love the display on the front showing the current load, makes me think a new TV is in order so I can save money on electricity...that's totally my story and I'm sticking to it.