ECS GOAL3+ Motherboard works so far.

j5428

I got this at newegg for $39 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135060&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL021408&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021408-_-MotherboardCPUVGACombo-_-L5A-_-13135060

It is a ECS Socket754 Motherboard and 3000+ Sempron processor.  Has 2-SATA ports.  There is a $10 coupon code EMCACBEBG.  It does not come with a CPU cooler.  I haven't built the computer yet but I did power up the motherboard to test.  It booted unRAID and found an IP address.  I was able to get to \\tower.  I will post more info when I get it built. 

I do not think you are going to find anything cheaper than this.

Yes, it IS very cheap, but with very limited expandability and slow network speed (only 10/100).  If you add a gigabit card, you are down to only 1 PCI slot, and the PCI-Express x16 slot.

In general, you need lots of SATA or PATA ports, and you either get them with the board, or you get them later with addon cards.  For the true cost of this system, you have to factor in the costs of the addons.

This is still a good buy for a small array, and that is all that many users need.  Once you get started though, you will be amazed at how soon you want more space.

Archived