We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Remove and re-Install drives while Server running?

Hi,

Just a quick sanity check. Here's the situation:

1. Currently running preclear on 3TB drives.

2. All drives in the array are running warmer then I like

3. Just learned about air vents on Norco 4224 Drive Trays  :-[

4. Would like to remove trays/drives from server (one at a time) to set vents correctly without shutting down server (and so avoiding having to begin the 90 hour preclear process over again - 3TB drives. 3 cycles)

From my understanding, if I stop the array and pull the trays one at a time and then replace them after confirming vent situation, my array should have no troubles starting up again once done (without needing a reboot), and the preclearing will continue?

NOTE: Obviously the two drives being pre-cleared will not be pulled!!

Any advice or shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU FOOL!!!" appreciated :)

Nnoooooooooooo you fool

Unraid will not like that. Possible data loss

You can stop the array and warm plug the array drives (not the preclearing drives) one at a time open the vents and replace them. Hit refresh and if you got lucky, it will see the drives and let you restart array

I would do one at a time. I have had unraid dislike removing lots of drives at once

You might have to wait a min to redetect the drives. Also your sata port needs to be in achi mode. Not IDE.

You would be best to wait until done unless it is an emergency

You could also pull the empty trays out and blow a box fan into the front of the unit until it is done. That should get cool air into the other bays

Nnoooooooooooo you fool

Unraid will not like that. Possible data loss

You can stop the array and warm plug the array drives (not the preclearing drives) one at a time open the vents and replace them. Hit refresh and if you got lucky, it will see the drives and let you restart array

I would do one at a time. I have had unraid dislike removing lots of drives at once

You might have to wait a min to redetect the drives. Also your sata port needs to be in achi mode. Not IDE.

You would be best to wait until done unless it is an emergency

You could also pull the empty trays out and blow a box fan into the front of the unit until it is done. That should get cool air into the other bays

Ok, so it turns out I don't need to pull any of the trays. The Norco shipped with all the air vents open, so I just had to close the vents on the empty trays.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. I had hoped they were closed so I could open them and drop the temp a bit. Ah well. Thanks anyways for the NYF! :)

Take a look at my build photos.

Stuffing some foam, old sock or even taping up the fanwall holes made a 5-6 deg differance. it got rid of the whirlwind effect where the fans are actually pulling air in from the motherboard area back unto the fan chamber..

also tape over the screwholes in the sidewall and bottom

Archived