Seagate Drive Failures

Just had my second seagate drive failure in the last couple of months. First my 1.5tb Barracuda that was in my WHS which prompted my switch back to Unraid, and now a 1tb Barracuda that was in my desktop. Luckily they were both still in warranty.  I don't remember the last time I had a drive fail before these, I still have IDE drives in the couple hundred gb range that still work perfectly. I am not quite sure what is going on with these newer seagates but they are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Scary part is I still have one more of each in service.

Drives from all manufacturers fail, and generally with about the same frequency (with some notable exceptions).

In the past year or so, I've had to RMA drives from Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung. If I owned any Hitachi or Maxtor drives, I bet I would have had to RMA those as well.

This is why we have data redundancy.

i agree..

i have had about an equal number of drives fail across the big 4. although the 1.5TB drives have had the worst rate so far. perhaps they are just hitting that age.

If i total up all my drives from each company. It is about 1 in 6.5 drives have failed from each vendor for all drives purchased in the last 5 years.

5 dead sammys out of 32 (1 was doa, one failed in the first week or 2, 3 all died in the same month after 2 years in the same raid array)

3 dead WD out of 21 (all 3 just recently died out of warranty)

4 dead seagates out of 12 (2 were doa so i should not count those but i will)

0 dead hitachis of 14 (all 14 are under 1 month old)

so far samsung has been the fastest turn around time. they shipped out the new drives the day after they got mine. funny thing, they sent me 5 drives in consecutive serial number.... i didn't even notice till i put them in unraid.

the moral is. if you stick to one vendor. it is hard to see the whole playing field. also, when one of a set goes... the rest might follow soon. time to think about upgrades. and keep back ups...

nothing like having a second drive puke while rebuilding an array

And it's not just the drives. I finally feel pretty secure about my stuff. That's after decades of weirdo backup systems, from ancient VHS to DAT to DLT changers, all of which fail in too many ways, expensive RAID controllers and the associated fun when you can't justify spares... Now, simple commodity hardware + unRAID, *2 (replicated across town), and my redundancy finally satisfies. Time for another toast to Tom.

I had read about problems with early failures on the seagate 1.5tbs shortly after I bought them, guess I am just nervous about it now. Got some money comming in in about two weeks. Gonna upgrade my license and stuff more drives in the box. Maybe  I will try to buy from a few manufactures to eliminate the possibility of a bad batch from one.

I had read about problems with early failures on the seagate 1.5tbs shortly after I bought them, guess I am just nervous about it now. Got some money comming in in about two weeks. Gonna upgrade my license and stuff more drives in the box. Maybe  I will try to buy from a few manufactures to eliminate the possibility of a bad batch from one.

If you're in no rush, I think the smart money is to wait for another hitachi 3TB sale that has them under $110 again.

If your looking for 2TB drives. you might look for a nice $60 or less sale for whoever it is. right now they seem to all be about the same. most everyone has the bugs worked out. although everyone has a favorite and a hated

If youre really in no rush.. the black friday sales are not that far away. it will be a barrel shoot for cheap drives then.

I had read about problems with early failures on the seagate 1.5tbs shortly after I bought them, guess I am just nervous about it now. Got some money comming in in about two weeks. Gonna upgrade my license and stuff more drives in the box. Maybe  I will try to buy from a few manufactures to eliminate the possibility of a bad batch from one.

If you're in no rush, I think the smart money is to wait for another hitachi 3TB sale that has them under $110 again.

If your looking for 2TB drives. you might look for a nice $60 or less sale for whoever it is. right now they seem to all be about the same. most everyone has the bugs worked out. although everyone has a favorite and a hated

If youre really in no rush.. the black friday sales are not that far away. it will be a barrel shoot for cheap drives then.

Well I have to buy at least one drive as I am down to 352gb free space and I still have stuff that needs to be moved so more like 100gb free. If I do 3tb then I need to buy two to replace parity. I did not consider the black friday deals so maybe I will buy one 2gb to hold me over and hopefully we will get a RC that will support 3tb drives by then.

Thanks for the tip

John

My problem is that any hard drive that exists in a certain distance from me (typically as far as I can reach) has it's lifespan cut dramatically. I built a stack of drives that failed less than one year from manufacture before I started to realize this proximity thing. Drives that exist in a different location than I frequent tend to last several years.

Naturally, my UNRAID server is in a location I don't frequent. ;D Unfortunately, I recently had a drive fail in my UNRAID server but since it's one of those EARS drives, I'm blaming the drive.

Not limited to hard drives either, I've had enough motherboards fail in my work laptop to earn me a reputation at work.

Currently experimenting with SDD drives. :D

you could just buy 1 3TB and replace the parity drive.

you will then have a "spare" 2tb after the 3tb is in place.

you have to stop doing all this thinking....your making me look dumb.....LOL    ;D

The funny part is, the day after after i posted the wait for a sale comment, the 3TB dropped to $109 free shipping at newegg.

I am debating getting more 3TB's myself or holding out.

I am down to 1 spare 3TB, 2 spare 2TB drives and 1 spare 1.5TB drive.

(I hate using my last drive, I like to keep spares, especially for my critical raid 5/6 arrays.)

Archived