Stream Movies with App....

opentoe

Is there any kind of software out there that can be installed on the unRAID server that will allow me to connect to my unRAID box remotely and stream movies? Even if it is a Windows based software. I've been wanting to stream movies while away from home, but can't find the right software to do so. Any ideas that can do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Plex only streams to Mac and mobile doesn't it? I haven't figured out how to get it to stream to Windows. Can this be done? Please please let me know how if that's even possible.

You can use XBMC and the PleXBMC plugin (with a supported skin) as a client for the Plex Media Server. With the plugin and skin you can basically mimic the OS X Plex client. There are one or two bugs and currently it works best with the Eden build of XBMC.

For more information see the Third Party clients section of the Plex forums.

I have tried various media servers on unRaid. I prefer best "twonky media server" and could stream movies, music, photos to various clients (ipad, iphone, os x and win 7). It is easily dedected on the LAN and does not require much to install.  The license costs a little bit, though.

I have Plex on Windows 7 intel i3-2100 transcoding and streaming on the fly to a smart LG TV (LG recommend Plex).  It is pretty good, but when you watch the same 1080p movie direct from the same PC there is a noticeable difference in quality, but Plex is good, up at about 90% quality I would say.  I have 3,000 BluRay rips on my server and Plex only finds 1,900 or so of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Been Playing AirVideo/iPad 2 combo last night since AirVideo is listed on unMenu. Seems very decent, easy setup, clean interface - except my unRAID rig is not powerful enough to do transcoding on-the-fly and I ended up installing AirVideo server on a separate PC.

Archived