unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12a Available

limetech

True, but if the second BLK_EH error comes, and it could at literally any time without warning, you're far more FUBAR because all drives on the SAS controller will freeze, as will the Web UI, along with any safe way to reboot.

These are precisely the reason why these errors are so serious, and not just a mild irritation. I would rather have my server reboot safely, than have to do a hard reset, even if the reboot was at an inconvenient time. Better that than data loss.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True, but if the second BLK_EH error comes, and it could at literally any time without warning, you're far more FUBAR because all drives on the SAS controller will freeze, as will the Web UI, along with any safe way to reboot.

These are precisely the reason why these errors are so serious, and not just a mild irritation. I would rather have my server reboot safely, than have to do a hard reset, even if the reboot was at an inconvenient time. Better that than data loss.

But taking the array down while you have files open and being used can do the EXACT same thing... corruption.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if files were open, the array would not stop. Issuing the stop command cleanly takes down all the services first, making sure there are no open files, and then unmounts all /dev/md drives.

When this happens all of my client computers give me a warning that shares are no longer available, as you would expect. I've not noticed any more serious errors.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if files were open, the array would not stop. Issuing the stop command cleanly takes down all the services first, making sure there are no open files, and then unmounts all /dev/md drives.

When this happens all of my client computers give me a warning that shares are no longer available, as you would expect. I've not noticed any more serious errors.

That is correct... if you have no apps running on the array.  If something is running on the array... the server will not even shut down as the apps are not going to be stopped, at least not by the built in unRAID powerdown.

So I have left my server on since Sunday morning...no problems with Block EH errors, server remains completely responsive (see previous post, trying to help out Nezil with troubleshooting).

However, I have noticed that my drives aren't spinning down.  Indeed, they seem to spin up on their own!  Seems similar to the problem other people have been reporting.  Syslog attached if anyone wants to take a gander...

syslog-2011-10-11.txt

Just wanted to chme in, i have a clean install 5b12a, using 7 drives on a saslp-mv8 .. i too have the blh_eh.. maybe it obvious, but it only seems to fail on heavy writes/reads.. parity checks makes it fail.. and large copy jobs too.. weird though.. i have been movng more than 4.5gb to it with no problems and then suddenly sunday evening i had the error..

For the people with or without BLK_EH errors - you should report your firmware revisions for the SASLP card (s) -each one of them as it is not shown in the syslog.

They are two firmwares available and the newer one introduced some "RAID" functionality to the controller. It is possible that this extra "RAID" overhead even when the drives are seen as JBOD may be a contributing factor in these crashes.

And maybe report whats the card current settings are when you go into the BIOS as Supermicro may have changed the "default" settings.

Something to keep in mind.

running b12a on two servers since it was released, with 3 cards, no block errors, all running v 3.1.0.21.  19 drives total on the controllers with a mix of 3TB and 2TB drives.  Also in the middle of pre-clearing 2 x 3tb drives on one of the controllers.  I've also do a massive amount of writing to the disks on the controllers and no issues

I am however getting these errors on boot, happens on all ata connections that are from each of the controllers with a drive attached.  Both systems the same thing

Oct  8 02:12:04 Tower kernel: ata9: sas eh calling libata port error handler (Errors)

Josh

running b12a on two servers since it was released, with 3 cards, no block errors, all running v 3.1.0.21.  19 drives total on the controllers with a mix of 3TB and 2TB drives.  Also in the middle of pre-clearing 2 x 3tb drives on one of the controllers.  I've also do a massive amount of writing to the disks on the controllers and no issues

I am however getting these errors on boot, happens on all ata connections that are from each of the controllers with a drive attached.  Both systems the same thing

Oct  8 02:12:04 Tower kernel: ata9: sas eh calling libata port error handler (Errors)

Josh

That may not be an error, but a description to you how the errors will be handled

I moved to an IBM M1015 SATA/RAID card (Rebranded LSI 9211-8i) and also bought a genuine LSI 9211-8i.

Flashed the 2 cards to IT-mode and I am currently starting my unRAID b12-a performing the first parity build/check.

A fresh system and hopefully a fresh and good start without that annoying "BLK_EH error"

In other words. I returned the AOC-SASLP-MV8's

I moved to an IBM M1015 SATA/RAID card (Rebranded LSI 9211-8i) and also bought a genuine LSI 9211-8i.

Flashed the 2 cards to IT-mode and I am currently starting my unRAID b12-a performing the first parity build/check.

A fresh system and hopefully a fresh and good start without that annoying "BLK_EH error"

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.. Please let us know if the  m1015 runs with no errors.. ;)

I don't want to sound paranoid but it is usually not a good idea if the keys to the UnRaid kingdom are locked in one place with only one person having access to them. It can be something as simple as a health issue or unforeseen occurrence happening to the holder of the keys and one then only hopes that the hardware investment can be reused with a similar OS.

I recall years ago a cartoon that showed a woman and a young boy at a funeral with a business man approaching them. The caption read "Did you ever here him mention Source Code".

But what I have come to love about UnRaid is the helpful community of self sacrificing individuals. Because my 4.7 version server is rock solid the worst that can happen is take my unused 3TB Hitachi's and via HDParm make them into 2TBs and wait until the server is full and hopefully by then a stable version that supports 3TB drives is available or hope I can rotate the Hardware to a different OS that supports higher drive capacities. Keeps life interesting.

I don't want to sound paranoid but it is usually not a good idea if the keys to the UnRaid kingdom are locked in one place with only one person having access to them. It can be something as simple as a health issue or unforeseen occurrence happening to the holder of the keys and one then only hopes that the hardware investment can be reused with a similar OS.

I recall years ago a cartoon that showed a woman and a young boy at a funeral with a business man approaching them. The caption read "Did you ever here him mention Source Code".

But what I have come to love about UnRaid is the helpful community of self sacrificing individuals. Because my 4.7 version server is rock solid the worst that can happen is take my unused 3TB Hitachi's and via HDParm make them into 2TBs and wait until the server is full and hopefully by then a stable version that supports 3TB drives is available or hope I can rotate the Hardware to a different OS that supports higher drive capacities. Keeps life interesting.

As has already been mentioned (probably hard to find and I won't bother to try) there are plans in place should something like that happen.

Good to know that there is a backup plan. Case, Drives, NICs & controller is all that is important a.t.m. for me. By the time it comes to decide for an upgrade because higher capacity drives are now the norm it only makes sense to use the then existing hardware that is current and supported by OS or Raid system under consideration. No one ever said that this was an inexpensive hobby.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.. Please let us know if the  m1015 runs with no errors.. ;)

It looks very promising sofar, But then again the system has only been running for 1 day and 20 hrs. Tune back in tomorrow.

Normally within or shortly after 2 days the BLK error arises.