unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12a Available

limetech

Not sure! As 12b ran perfectly for me for quite some time, Parity sync, and Parity check ran at 80-130 MB, everything just purred along flawlessly, then things fell apart so to speak. So far so good with 11b, but Parity sync, and check is much slower. (Like maybe 20-30% slower and at times more then 50-60% slower.)

12b run great for more than 5 weeks, with two AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards running 8 - 3TB Hitachi cool spins, not a single problem, then bam! the scheduled Parity check started, and all heck broke loose, after about a week of trying all suggestions, I gave up and went back to 11b. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. the best way, if i have a saslp-mv8, is to downgrade to 5b11, right?

i

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I have an application that rips CDs in Windows and write them to a mapped shared drive that is on my Unraid v.5.

The thing is all the ripped files are set with root/root permissions.

And Squeezebox Server somehow cannot scan them.

How can I either:

- get Squeezebox Server to scan files with root permissions?

- get the application on my Windows to write the files to Unraid with the nobody/users permission?

Thank you

Not sure! As 12b ran perfectly for me for quite some time, Parity sync, and Parity check ran at 80-130 MB, everything just purred along flawlessly, then things fell apart so to speak. So far so good with 11b, but Parity sync, and check is much slower. (Like maybe 20-30% slower and at times more then 50-60% slower.)

12b run great for more than 5 weeks, with two AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards running 8 - 3TB Hitachi cool spins, not a single problem, then bam! the scheduled Parity check started, and all heck broke loose, after about a week of trying all suggestions, I gave up and went back to 11b. 

thanks mike.

I think I'll give it a try.. I'd rather have some slow read/write speeds than a completely unusable setup :)

Correct me if I'm wrong. the best way, if i have a saslp-mv8, is to downgrade to 5b11, right?

i

That is what I did. I downloaded 11b, and replaced bzroot, and bzimage on the flash drive.

However, I was wrong about the speed! It is now at 48%, and down to a crawl on the Parity check. A measly 1.52 MB/s, and with 12b I never seen lower then 77.8 MB/s when it was working correctly. (Maybe it too had slowed like this, but the web interface, and tower became unresponsive)

thanks mike.

I think I'll give it a try.. I'd rather have some slow read/write speeds than a completely unusable setup :)

i

It's disappointing to see all these troubles with the AOC-SASLP-MV8, considering just a few months ago it was the most highly recommended card here.  I almost bought a spare for future use, and now it's barely functional.  Hope it gets sorted out.

I'm sure it will.

I'm confident Tom is not just ignoring this.

Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

It's disappointing to see all these troubles with the AOC-SASLP-MV8, considering just a few months ago it was the most highly recommended card here.  I almost bought a spare for future use, and now it's barely functional.  Hope it gets sorted out.

I'm sure it will.

I'm confident Tom is not just ignoring this.

Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

It sounds like a problem with the Linux kernel, which makes it a little more difficult to sort out since it's not with Tom's code.  Even still, the track record for fixing stuff like this is excellent, so I'm pretty confident it'll get fixed eventually.  It's been awhile since the last beta release, so we'll probably hear something soon.

About 7 weeks ago, Tom was thinking that 5.0 would go final very shortly, but then this beast of a bug got ahold of the beta, and he has went silent since shortly after that. I am hoping he is getting really close to getting this ironed out.

It sounds like a problem with the Linux kernel, which makes it a little more difficult to sort out since it's not with Tom's code. 

Agreed - if this wasn't a kernel problem I think we would have seen a 12b or 13 probably about 5-6 weeks ago.

Mine took 12 hours to check parity.. but at least it didnt crash as 5b12 would..

Now im reclearing all drives since i couldnt do that on 5b12.. sigh..

looks like 5b11 is the right one when using AOC-SASlp-mv8

That is what I did. I downloaded 11b, and replaced bzroot, and bzimage on the flash drive.

However, I was wrong about the speed! It is now at 48%, and down to a crawl on the Parity check. A measly 1.52 MB/s, and with 12b I never seen lower then 77.8 MB/s when it was working correctly. (Maybe it too had slowed like this, but the web interface, and tower became unresponsive)

thanks mike.

i

It has been reported once before. 

Let us know if a reboot fixes it.  If not, I'd love to see an hdparm command output for that drive.

Joe L.

Thanks for the response Joe L.

after rebooting the system, the drive reports the correct size.  The system views the drive as a new drive so I have to re-run parity check.

J

I'd second that, I have been on beta 11 for a month or so now without issue and using these cards.

I had the blk error on beta 12 and quickly moved off it.

I can't really comment on parity check times as can't remember how long it took when I was using beta 12 for that brief period of time..

Mine took 12 hours to check parity.. but at least it didnt crash as 5b12 would..

Now im reclearing all drives since i couldnt do that on 5b12.. sigh..

looks like 5b11 is the right one when using AOC-SASlp-mv8

thanks mike.

i

Last post from limetech was over 1 month ago. Has development stopped? I think most users would love at least 1 post stating what is the status of this software. 

EzBox

limetech was online earlier today, so it is most likely that development has not stopped.  The last post may have been a month ago but be sure to look at the last activity so see get a true idea of how often LimeTech is on the forum.

We all know that we can see LimeTech's online status.

It also looks like Tom has found a way of having other users speak for him. No offense!

Maybe there's nothing to be said, but there have been several discussions on Tom's absence (postings).

It would be best to just give us an overview of the current beta plans.

I agree. I think if silence is not broken, people will start to look for alternatives instead of using unraid furthermore, especially cause theres no stable 3tb support.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk

3TB working great for me.. 8x 3TB drives and 13x 2TB drives, been using it ever since 3TB support was added with no issues. I also have a friend using beta12a and he also has 6x 3TB drives working flawlessly. There's a small percent of users that are having problems with the beta that aren't related to 3TB support. AOC-SASLP-MV8 support is the major one, and it works fine on older betas that also support 3TB.

I agree he should provide a status update, but the current 3TB support is rather stable.. I don't think anyone is going to go to a different solution because of this. He has been known to disappear for a month or two but it is fustrating that he knows we can see he signs on, and then just doesn't provide a status update. It takes a couple minutes, and the only reason why I think he isn't providing a status update is because he still hasn't found the solution to this recent problem.

.... I don't think anyone is going to go to a different solution because of this. He has been known to disappear for a month or two but it is fustrating that he knows we can see he signs on, and then just doesn't provide a status update. It takes a couple minutes, and the only reason why I think he isn't providing a status update is because he still hasn't found the solution to this recent problem.

that's probably what the MS eggheads said when they killed Drive Extender on WHS. And look at how many of us came here.

i for one am looking to jump ship. my array is near full and am ready to expand. but I cannot buy a license given the current impasse ...

i'm going to wait until I have no choice but to expand my array. at that point, if 5.0 is out, i buy, if not research alternatives.

I don't see people that already have 4.7 and are satisfied with it just abandoning ship. but people that are in a situation like mine are likely to hesitate.

Hope this gets sorted out. this is too good of a product to just go defunct.

My comment on 3TB support stability is that when the server is doing it's "normal" job of serving files, I have had zero issues and b12 hasn't crashed or reported any errors after over a month of continuous online operation (no restarts, power-downs or crashes).

Drive upgrading to 3TB drives, on the other hand...  :'(

axeman - what other alternatives currently offer 3TB support?

I'm on 4.7 but am nearing capacity and will need to add another drive soon.  I'd like to get a 3TB and reuse my current 2TB parity drive but may end up getting another 2TB in the meantime.  I've currently got 15TB of data.  Is 5.12a stable enough to upgrade my array to?

I'm on 4.7 but am nearing capacity and will need to add another drive soon.  I'd like to get a 3TB and reuse my current 2TB parity drive but may end up getting another 2TB in the meantime.  I've currently got 15TB of data.  Is 5.12a stable enough to upgrade my array to?

depends on what hardware you are running.

no clue- i haven't started looking yet. I am hoping against hope that we see something here. I am not ready to abandon ship just yet. Unless of course my array fills overnight.