How many attached storage devices do you have?

SpencerJ

How many attached storage devices are in your server?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before expanding my array further I am waiting the next major unraid release where multiple pool/array will finally be a reality. Not really a fan using only 2 parity drive for 28 data drive, particularly if you consider the rebuild time when you use 18+TB hard drive. I experienced a drive failure twice and unraid was great into rebuilding that but guys, lost some sleep for 2/3 days. If multiple arrays becomes a reality I would like to build 2/3 "unraid array" in a single server each containing 12 disk (2 parity).

On 8/16/2023 at 2:35 AM, Mik3 said:

Before expanding my array further I am waiting the next major unraid release where multiple pool/array will finally be a reality. Not really a fan using only 2 parity drive for 28 data drive, particularly if you consider the rebuild time when you use 18+TB hard drive. I experienced a drive failure twice and unraid was great into rebuilding that but guys, lost some sleep for 2/3 days. If multiple arrays becomes a reality I would like to build 2/3 "unraid array" in a single server each containing 12 disk (2 parity).

I'd really like to see Unraid support maintaining copies of critical files on multiple drives (like Drivepool can) to address this. My media library? I'm good with just parity. My family photos? I'd like to have more redundancy for those. Right now I run dual parity ... I'd rather run single parity and have it (transparently) mirror my photos across several disks. I'd also like to see the ability to 'drain' a disk down to all zeros and then remove it from the array so that I can remove failing or old disks without ever putting the array in a degraded state.

6 hours ago, rheumatoid-programme6086 said:

I'd really like to see Unraid support maintaining copies of critical files on multiple drives (like Drivepool can) to address this. My media library? I'm good with just parity. My family photos? I'd like to have more redundancy for those. Right now I run dual parity ... I'd rather run single parity and have it (transparently) mirror my photos across several disks. I'd also like to see the ability to 'drain' a disk down to all zeros and then remove it from the array so that I can remove failing or old disks without ever putting the array in a degraded state.

In my ideal world it would work how I initially thought zpool and zfs worked. I love the concept of vdevs and in that context it makes total sense why drives need to be the same. Before further reading I thought with redundancy happening at that level, then you could freely mix and match different vdev topologies in a zpool to combine them together. Not only can you not (or at least it's very much not recommended), but I came to realize that losing one vdev loses all of the data. That freaks me out.

I think it would be great to have a pool that can stripe files across many vdevs, then you could control at the share level where data can be will be placed. For example, if you had an array consisting of a 6-wide RAID-Z2 and 4-wide RAID-Z1 you could mark the 'photos' share to only or prefer the Z2, but 'media' could go anywhere similar to how we have include/exclude disk options.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:04 AM, rheumatoid-programme6086 said:

I'd also like to see the ability to 'drain' a disk down to all zeros and then remove it from the array so that I can remove failing or old disks without ever putting the array in a degraded state.

Yes!  It can be done now, but it's not baked into the OS.  It took me 10 years to reach this point so not likely very common, but would be nice for those needing to shrink.