We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Slow Network Speeds

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Unraid version 6.12.3

I'm having an issue with slow speeds over network. Not internally, that seems fine, but externally. Anything that my Unraid needs to connect to the internet for is god awful slow. I have 500 Mbps up and down and my normal computer can average around 400 Mbps both up and down. 

I used the Speedtest docker and tested it out and sure enough the server is only showing 95 Down, and 7 Up. Something doesn't seem right here.

Specs:

Dell R510 with 2 x x5670 Cpus

128Gb Ram

500gb (raid 0) SSD's for cache

A mix of WD Hard drives for standard array. 

Nvidia Quadro P400

This server has 2 onboard NIC's and I have tried every combination I can think of over the last 2 weeks trying to figure this out. Right now I have both plugged in to a managed switch, that's really just acting as a normal switch. It's not aggregating them together. I have both of them set to "Bridged" and not "Bonded" on Unraid. I've attached my most recent diagnostics (I hope). Sorry, I have been trying to solve a lot of these issues on my own with learning, but this one has me stumped and it's really putting a damper on watching Plex while away from home.

tower-diagnostics-20230817-1539.zip

• Solution
1 hour ago, waggs15 said:

I have tried every combination I can think of over the last 2 weeks trying to figure this out

Does that include only having one at a time plugged in? Having 2 physical ethernet connections requires very specific settings both in Unraid and on the managed switch end. Much easier to just use one port.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth trying iperf3 tests (single stream) between your Unraid server and your PC.   

Have you tried using different LAN cables and/or router ports for your Unraid server?

I know like...the basics of iperf. I'll look into it and report back. I haven't tried different lan ports yet. I would hope everything plugged into that switch would work the same... ya know?

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Does that include only having one at a time plugged in? Having 2 physical ethernet connections requires very specific settings both in Unraid and on the managed switch end. Much easier to just use one port.

This does NOT include this yet. I'll unplug one tonight and give it a test after I try out iperf.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth trying iperf3 tests (single stream) between your Unraid server and your PC.   

Have you tried using different LAN cables and/or router ports for your Unraid server?

So iperf gave me 944 Mbits/sec between computer and server. So I'm pretty sure something with "network" is having the issues. I'm going to unplug one of the ethernet cables and give her a go.

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Well... thanks. That seems to be the issue here. I thought I had read up on that enough and knew what I was doing, but I guess I was wrong. Back to the books I go!