6.11.5 - 2 errors in parity check after installing new drive

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hey, I have had 2 errors appear in a parity check after installing a new drive into my system.

My system has 3x18TB drives, with 1 being used as a parity drive. I recently added an 8TB drive, bringing the total mechanical drive count up to 4.

- Prior to installing new drive, I've never had any errors when running the parity check

- I installed the drive, and added it to the array. It spent some time clearing the drive as expected.

- A monthly parity check ran (write corrections disabled), and detected 2 errors

- I ran another check manually (write corrections disabled) which again detected 2 errors. Based on the progress, these 2 errors were detected in the first 8TB of the parity check.

The smart stats of the new drive look fine (as do all the other mechanical drives), although it is an older drive with more power on hours. I have attached them anyway incase there is something I've missed.

I have not yet stored anything on the new drive.

As far as I can tell these are my options:

1. Do a parity check and write on errors.

2. Remove the 8TB drive from the array and add it back again, so it re-clears it. Then check the parity again.

3. Just remove the 8TB drive and don't use it.

Would like to hear feedback / suggestions if anyone has any. Also this is my first time posting here so let me know if there are any problems. Thanks!

WDC_WD80EMAZ_SMART_DATA_SNIPPET.txt

• Solution

It is not certain from your description if it is the new drive you have just added or not,  At this point I would suggest running a correcting parity check (which should report the same 2 errors as it corrects them), and then run another non-correcting check which should now report 0 errors.  

if you still have errors reported then please post your diagnostics