Removing a Disk

Hi,

My configuration has seven drives in it, two of which are old 500GB disks that are on the way out and do not contain any data (at least none that I want).  I want to remove both of these and then add in the new 2TB drive that I have.  

How should I go about doing this?  I can't work out from the Wiki whether un-assigning one of the drives and then 'Restoring' the config is the right way to do it or not.  Followed by upgrading the 2nd 500GB with the 2TB as if it was a normal disk replace.

Any pointers would be good please :)

Edit: 5.0-beta10  ;)

You want to replace 2 500gig drives with 1 2TB drive?

There is more then one way to do this.

I am also assuming your parity drive is already 2TB or larger.

The easiest would probably be to:

I would preclear the 2TB drive.

run a parity check.

if good, stop array

add the 2TB drive to the array.

start array and format 2tb drive if needed

copy all of the data to the 2TB from the 500 gig drives with CP commands

run a parity check.

if it goes well..

Note the serial number of the parity drive,

INITCONFIG the array.

recreate the array without the 500gig drives making sure you assign the correct drive to parity.

if any of the drives show up as unformatted STOP and ask for help. (only the parity drive should be unformatted)

start the array

run another parity check.

You will have to recreate your shares again and assign permissions. If you don't remember all of the details you might want to get screen captures or write it down before you start.

Another way would be to upgrade one of the 500 gig to the 2TB, by doing a rebuild/upgrade. then copying the data from the other 500gig drive over. then removing it and INITCONFIG the array and recreate it.

it is not difficult, just time consuming.

Edit: i just noticed you said had no data on the 500 gig drives.. if that is the case.

this will be faster...

I would preclear the 2TB drive.

run a parity check.

if good, stop array

Note the serial number of the parity drive,

INITCONFIG the array.

recreate the array adding the 2TB drive and Exclude the 500gig drives making sure you assign the correct drive to parity.

if any of the drives show up as unformatted other then the new 2TB drive, STOP and ask for help.

start the array

run another parity check.

Archived