4TB Drives to be announced very soon...

http://www.storagereview.com/gtechnology_hitachi_shows_new_4tb_hitachi_hard_drive

Looks like Hitachi is still innovating...

Regards,  Peter

**edit**

Looks like the site violated their NDA.  However, my RSS feed shows the following text:

""In their latest G-RAID storage array, G-Technology by Hitachi showcased the new 4TB Hitachi 7,200RPM hard drive in a device aimed at professional A/V editing markets. The new four-platter drive is making use of a new 1TB platter design, which increases available capacity 33% compared to current-generation 3TB hard drives.""

Personally, I can't wait for these to appear, as it'll easily expand my rig's possibilities. I'm ready to replace my 2TB parity drive with a 4TB one, which of course will allow me to hold that much more, with less drives. But why am I even writing this, you all know... but yeah, it will be a welcome addition for sure.

For me, the more unusual aspect of this pending announcement is that Hitachi is releasing anything new since its acquisition by Western Digital.  I hope that this trend continues as I prefer the Hitachi drives to my old favorite Western Digital.  I've no recent experience with Samsung but have tended to shy away since their last problems.

Regards,  Peter

Hitachi 4TB drives have now been officially announced, apparently with 5x800GB platters (roll on the 5x1TB platter 5TB drives!):  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/08/hitachi_gst_4tb_g_raid/

"Hitachi GST sandwiches Seagate with 4TB big boy

Desks groan under contest of mighty grunters

By Chris Mellor

Posted in Storage, 8th September 2011 13:38 GMT

The day after Seagate launched its 4TB external drive, Hitachi GST did exactly the same with its launch of its 4TB desktop whopper.

It gets curiouser in a PR/marketing sense as Hitachi GST announced it had a terabyte-per-platter product the day before Seagate revealed its 4TB product. Oddly Hitachi only announced a single-platter version of the technology, storing up to 1TB, when it clearly had the capability to deliver a 4TB product. Did it want to top and tail Seagate's announcement?

Now Hitachi has announced its 4TB product, in the shape of a twin-drive, 8TB, G-RAID Thunderbolt external storage product specifically for the Mac market. There will also be a 4TB G-DRIVE product. The drives inside are 4TB ones spinning at 7,200rpm, and the Thunderbolt interface enables data transfer at up to 10Gbit/s. The available interfaces are eSATA, FireWire 400 and 800, USB 2.0, but not USB 3.0, and Thunderbolt.

HItachi GST G Technology products

Hitachi GST G-Technology products. G-RAID 2nd from right.

The company says it does not use the 1TB/platter technology, so there must be an unannounced Hitachi GST 4TB hard disk drive inside, presumably a Deskstar 7K4000, which could use 5 platters each storing 800GB. There's nothing on the Hitachi GST website about such a drive though.

The drives are mounted inside an aluminium enclosure with a quiet fan inside. It looks like a single drive to Mac OS X and can be reformatted to support Windows.

The G-RAID product is the highest capacity, twin-drive RAID 0 system available and Hitachi GST says it can be the basis of a portable editing workstation when hooked up to a MacBook Pro, and users can work with SD or HD video files. Hitachi GST says it can be used to handle multi-stream, compressed HD workflows including REDCODE, DVCPro HD, XDCAM HD and ProRes 422.

To excite video editing professionals further, the company says every terabyte can hold:

84 hours of HDV 1080i;

17 hours of DVCPRO HD 1080/60i;

30 hours of 2K RED;

10 hours of ProRes 422 HQ;

10 hours of 10 bit SD; and

2.5 hours of HD 1080/60i

Hitachi GST will ship its G-RAID and G-DRIVE products – using the 4TB disks – with eSATA, FireWire 800 (FireWire 400 via cable) and USB 2.0 ports in October. The Thunderbolt 4TB-based G-RAID and G-DRIVE products will ship in the fourth quarter and additional 4TB drive products can be expected from Hitachi GST.

The G-DRIVE and G-RAID products are on demo at IBC 2011 (Stand #7.D12a) in Amsterdam from today until 13 September. Pricing was not announced. ®"

Hrmm..

All of my 3TB drive have silver labels now from rubbing on the top of my Norco bays. I am almost worried that will void my warrenties. actually... I hope these 5 Platter drives are not any thicker...

although, why do i want to say the  hitachi 3TB drives are already 5 platter drives?

I know I said this before, 4TB drives on the horizon and unraid only supports 2TB. We are really falling behind here. If the beta doesn't go to stable soon I'll have to make some decisions on what direction I have to go in.

Tom already said that if 12a looks good, the next expected release is rc1

I know I said this before, 4TB drives on the horizon and unraid only supports 2TB. We are really falling behind here. If the beta doesn't go to stable soon I'll have to make some decisions on what direction I have to go in.

Tom already said that if 12a looks good, the next expected release is rc1

Not to be a downer... but I don't see that happening.  The move to the new kernel seems to have made the SASLP a little unstable.

Not to be a downer... but I don't see that happening.  The move to the new kernel seems to have made the SASLP a little unstable.

I know this is killing me (and has to be killing Tom too)

I have two 3TB drives just aching to be used and I need the space...  I would have installed 12a, but alas new problems show up.  (Seemingly)