Cache Drive Disappeared – Data gone?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm very new to unRaid and know enough to break things. The other day my 1TB SSD cache drive disappeared from the array. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think that I get the server a restart. When that didn't work, I think that I removed the cache drive from the array and added it back in. Now it looks as though the formatted the drive or something when I re-added it. However, the drive utilization is 41% and I haven't touched it since re-adding the drive. Is my data still on the drive? How can I recover it?

The Fix Common Problems plugin says "Unable to write to cache" "Drive mounted read-only or completely full."

fatfarmhqserver-diagnostics-20230825-1359.zip

• Solution

Cache device dropped offline:

Aug 23 00:07:22 FatFarmHQServer kernel: ata6: hard resetting link
Aug 23 00:07:27 FatFarmHQServer kernel: ata6: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Aug 23 00:07:27 FatFarmHQServer kernel: ata6: reset failed, giving up
Aug 23 00:07:27 FatFarmHQServer kernel: ata6.00: disable device

Since it's an MX500 try this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/134954-warning-crucial-mx500-ssds-world-of-pain-stay-away-from-these/?do=findComment&comment=1255816

Wow... 😳

Thank you for referencing that for me! I'll try upgrading the firmware. How do I check my current version? And it sounds like I won't be getting the data back – correct? (Not too big of a problem, I can rebuild the data from other sources. Just a real pain...)

Edited by danbru1989

After a restart, I could see my files on the cache drive. Because I only have one cache drive, I've set all my shares to the array for Primary Storage hoping that all my data will move over there and I can upgrade the firmware on my MX500. Is this the correct approach? Do I need to do anything special with Docker or VMs in the interim? 

1 minute ago, danbru1989 said:

After a restart, I could see my files on the cache drive. Because I only have one cache drive, I've set all my shares to the array for Primary Storage hoping that all my data will move over there and I can upgrade the firmware on my MX500. Is this the correct approach? Do I need to do anything special with Docker or VMs in the interim? 

Setting the array to Primary Storage will do nothing to data already on the cache pool.     The only time any files get moved to the array is when the cache pool is primary and array is Secondary and mover direction is cache->array.   You may also need docker and VM services disabled for the ‘system’ and ‘domains’ shares to be moved.

21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Thank you for that link. It lead me to the firmware upgrade process linked below for others. I'm now running firmware version: M3CR046 on my MX500. Hopefully all my problems will disappear. Thank you again for your help!

Edited by danbru1989
  • Like 1