TYAN S5512WGM2NR

would this puppy work on unraid ?

i can buy it here in Thailand and it seems to be pretty affordable

http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=700&SKU=600000226

the 8 sas ports i can put also sata drives ... and i assume i would be able to flash the onboard LSI sas2008 with IT firmware ?

so 14 onboard drives + 8 on my BR10 + 2 on my adaptec ... = 24 drives

all this is a icute 18 and i am set ...

i don't see issues with the nics and i3 1200 ...

only thing i don't know if tyans are difficult about ram ?

anybody experience with Tyan boards ?

I'm using the very same board with great success.  Specifically, I'm running with an E3-1230 Xeon and 16gb of ECC ddr3-1333 ram.  I'm running unRaid 5.0b9 on top of ESXi 4.1u1, but if I select the unRaid usb-stick as boot device it will boot right into unRaid with nary a twitch!  I have two additional plug-in controllers, one to add two more disks to fill-out my front panel of 16 drives (2TB Samsungs), the other is a raid controller for the ESXi DataStor.  The on-board "Intel" controller, the on-board LSI controller and the 2-drive fill-out controller get passed through by ESXi to unRaid which makes the configuration agnostic as to whether it boots ESXi or unRaid.  Great for peace of mind.  I have several other VM's running (Linux and Windows) which take care of all my daemon type apps such as torrents, newsgroups, media serving, etc.  Highly recommended.   ;D

• Thanks 1

I too am using exactly the same board with an E3-1270 Xeon but only 8GB of ECC DDR3-1333 ram. For not it's running unRAID 5.0b12a on top of a Slackware 13.37 64bit distro. The IPMI is a real treat. The NICS are using the e1000e driver.

I will be moving over to a base unRAID 5.0b12a (or newer) on top of ESXi 5.x. Then I will use another VM for my daemon programs (media serving, usenet, eggdrop, identd/authd, torrent, etc).

Yeah, that was a bit of a let-down for me, but at the time it was significantly cheaper than the available alternatives. It was part of a NewEgg Combo for even more savings.

I haven't looked yet, but I bet if it exists it'll be pricey, but it would be nice to find a short (few inches) reverse breakout-gender-changer cables so it can be used with the typical SAS-to-SATA cable.

I haven't looked yet, but I bet if it exists it'll be pricey, but it would be nice to find a short (few inches) reverse breakout-gender-changer cables so it can be used with the typical SAS-to-SATA cable.

While that sounds like a nice idea, It sounds like a big point of failure for data transfer. I think I would just like to see a rev. breakout cable the correct length.

I assume this board has the EPS12V requirement? (as do the other tyan C202/C204  boards)

• 10 years later...
On 9/7/2011 at 2:25 PM, BRiT said:

I too am using exactly the same board with an E3-1270 Xeon but only 8GB of ECC DDR3-1333 ram. For not it's running unRAID 5.0b12a on top of a Slackware 13.37 64bit distro. The IPMI is a real treat. The NICS are using the e1000e driver.

I will be moving over to a base unRAID 5.0b12a (or newer) on top of ESXi 5.x. Then I will use another VM for my daemon programs (media serving, usenet, eggdrop, identd/authd, torrent, etc).

Is  it necessary to run unraid on top of something like slackware or esxi or can it be run native?