Another Doesn't Boot Thread >> I225V Driver Missing from Unraid; need known-good PCI NIC

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have tried every combination of CFS/UEFI Secure Boot, EFI/EFI-, Fast Boot Disabled, different USB keys, GUI/no GUI, different USB ports ..... yea. Not booting. Box boots from USB; that's how the previous install of W10 was installed.

IFF I use UEFI, "EFI", and either boot option "Unraid OS" or "Unraid OIS GUI Mode", I get the mass booting text, and then blank screen.  http://tower.local doesn't load.

IFF I use any other combination of CFS, I do not get the boot menu. 

BIOS Setting Screenshot Spam. Mobo = MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI. 

It booted far enough once so I could load http://tower.local. Once. Long enough for me to bind the license...but then I needed to boot back into Windows to log on to my PCI RAID adapter and delete that array (to be used in Unraid, obvs). Now it won't boot again. I even moved the USB stick. Doesn't respond to ping (Fixed IP set in Unifi). No other potential clients come up in Unifi on the interface.

EDIT #2!!!: 

Pretty sure this is related to the network driver for the Intel® I225V 2.5Gbps LAN controller. I finally remember the W10 install having intermittent connectivity issues on this mobo. This reflects my current symptoms. I have 1-2 minutes of connectivity followed by 5-30minutes of disconnectoin.

How do I install the drivers?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

EDIT #3: Where is the diagnostics export? Since the GUI doesn't load (separate issue, since the boot screen does sometimes work on a monitor, this is still a bug) I can only use the web GUI for a few seconds at a time. 

Are there known working PCI NICs?

Preferably dual NIC (for teaming). 

20230829_224156351_iOS.jpg

20230829_224233893_iOS.jpg

20230829_224242946_iOS.jpg

20230829_224354050_iOS.jpg

20230829_224414810_iOS.jpg

20230829_224451235_iOS.jpg

20230829_224459948_iOS.jpg

20230829_224514419_iOS.jpg

net1.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20230829-2000.zip

Edited by bjsmith911
Added Mobo info; networking; again; upload Diagnostics
  • bjsmith911 changed the title to Another Doesn't Boot Thread >> I225V Driver Missing from Unraid; need known-good PCI NIC
9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The NIC is being detected and the driver loading, but you have this problem:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/release-notes/6.12.0#crashes-related-to-i915-driver

Thanks! I'll give that a try later tonight - I currently have a bricked Z590 mobo to sort out (attempted to flash BIOS to latest and it uh...didn't). 

How does the referenced "echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.confcommand" relate to the NIC? It sounds like it's iGPU related? Or is it a common driver issue in this chipset? OR will this "only" fix my no-GUI GUI-boot issue? My system doesn't crash per se. It doesn't boot to GUI, and the NIC works about 1% of the time. 

Is this relevant still? 'Adding "i915.force_probe=4c8b" to "/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf"'

This seems sneakily similar to the "echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf" mentioned in your link. 

I will Edit this post tonight as I am still an unwelcome visitor and can only post once per day 🙂

34 minutes ago, bjsmith911 said:

How does the referenced "echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.confcommand" relate to the NIC? It sounds like it's iGPU related?

It's not about the NIC, the NIC is being detected correctly, the iGPU issue is a known problem with Rocket Lake CPUs.

9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It's not about the NIC, the NIC is being detected correctly, the iGPU issue is a known problem with Rocket Lake CPUs.

Okay. That doesn't currently make sense to me but we'll see if it works. NIC = NIC, iGPU = iGPU ... I'm sure you know better than I, but to me, at this point in my life, iGPU != NIC. I guess if the GUI at least loads, then we have a reliable way to troubleshoot further. 

Sitrep: BIOS updated to the latest from MSI (Note - there is a specific USB port that needs to be used. CMOS reset was required, then worked as expected). Disabled fast boot. Disabled secure boot. Enabled virtualization. 

Boot loading screen loads again. I removed my extra GPU to ensure I could plug both display outputs into monitors and not miss anything. Video signal of boot screen comes out of HDMI. 

Boot to GUI does not boot to GUI. No network active, cannot access webGUI at tower.local. Interface not active - no activity reported in Unifi. Ping to previously assigned Unifi "Fixed IP" and initial DHCP IP (in case the lease hasn't expired yet), .28 and .157 respectively, unreachable. Blinky lights on the port; known good cable (swapped with the one on this machine I am typing on now). 

OH IT LOADED ... and it's gone. Online for 30s, tower.local did not accept credentials and load main screen in that time.... waiting again. It's at .28 now. IT'S BACK. 

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf SENT SUCCESSFULLY. Twice. No response given in terminal, just new line loaded. 

Okay. MAIN loaded >> Array Stopped. REBOOT sent. How do I know if it's rebooting/rebooted? Going to wait for it to come back and SHUTDOWN to be sure. <Inside thoughts> man it would be nice if Unraid allowed the integrated WiFi to work...even just a little...

It's been 20 minutes. Hasn't come back up. Clicked power button. I hear that triggers a shutdown. We'll see. 10 minutes. It doesn't. Hard shutdown, power button 6 seconds. Off. Booting.

Keep in mind - no changes to ANYTHING BIOS or other wise other than echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Black screen. No boot. Single click off, not a good sign. Booting. MSI logo .... black screen. No ping. No tower.local.

What next?

EDIT # 2 

My bad. Turns out i'm a liar? Secure Boot and Fast Boot were re-enabled. Disabled both. I have half a GUI and webGUI loading. I will confirm if it was FAST or SECURE or both and then mark as resolved. 

EDIT # 3

Re-enabled Secure boot. Boots, but no GUI. WebGUI works. 

Reverted to no Fast, no furious, no Secure. No GUI. Again. WebGUI works. Very inconsistent this Unraid thing. 

Edited by bjsmith911
Clarify BIOs boot and virtualization settings updated after flash. Edit 2 - I lie. Edit 3 - hey it works.