Re: Noob Running Preclear [Solved]

Hi Guys,

Back again, sorry, I have now got the USB booting sorted out and have installed three new 2TB Sata hard drives, am looking to run Pre Clear script and have downloaded the script and copied this to the root of my flash drive, it sits alongside root and image files.

The problem I'm getting is when I try and run the script via Tower Login to get list of drives (preclear_disk.sh -l) every attempt comes back with "command not found"

I know it's gonna be something silly.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi guys

I did miss the ./ when I tried this last night, reading with tired eyes.

I have tried again now and am getting "no such directory"

Now I have the script loose in the root of the flash drive, is that correct or should it be in a folder? The problem with what you read never makes it very clear.

Many thanks

Good deal..everytime I run a preclear I have to remember the steps..and usually get "no such directory" the first time.

If you are not running "screen", but inside a telnet window only; you can do it directly from that window

Press ALT-F2

You can run up to 6 terminal sessions (F1, F2, F3, etc..switching between each by ALT-F2.  

Note:  After my first disconnect, 16 hours into a preclear...I started using "screen".

IF you are running "screen"

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Preclearing_With_Screen

If so...here are the steps:  CTRL-A c

Step 5 Now that the first preclear is running, to start the next one press

CTRL-A c

That translates to hold down the Control key and press the A key. Release both keys then press the c key. This creates a new screen inside Screen and gives you a new prompt. Start the preclear for this drive just like the preclear for the first one. You can create a new screen for each preclear you need to run, however, it is not recommended to run more than 4 at once.

Hi,

Still working my way through the preclear process, with 3 drives to do in total, first one completed overnight I think, I had been keeping an eye during the first 35hours and the first 10 processes had gone through ok and It was on the last process when I tuned in first thing this morning I was greeted with a page full of prompts and was unable to see the results, in the meantime I have started disk 2 and was wondering, can I still log the results when all three are done perhaps to see how they fared?

Many thanks

Hi dgaschk

Many thanks for the reply, I'm still working from the pc it self so I'm guessing I access this from boot directory at login ?

Cheers

After log in to unRAID, you can get to it in Linux under /boot.

From the PC, you can access the folder using file-explorer at

\\tower\flash\preclear_reports

Joe L.

Hi,

Still working my way through the preclear process, with 3 drives to do in total, first one completed overnight I think, I had been keeping an eye during the first 35hours and the first 10 processes had gone through ok and It was on the last process when I tuned in first thing this morning I was greeted with a page full of prompts and was unable to see the results, in the meantime I have started disk 2 and was wondering, can I still log the results when all three are done perhaps to see how they fared?

Many thanks

Quick note, you can hit shift page up and shift page down to scroll up and down from the command prompt to see messages you may have missed

The buffer is pretty large so you should be able to catch what you need, you can also type from anywhere "cd /boot/preclear_reports" then "cat preclear_rpt*" and it will spam your screen with all the preclear final reports for each disk you've run, and use shift page up and down again to scroll through to check the results.  This is of course if you want to do it on the unraid machine itself, it is easier to just browse the files in notepad2 or Notepad+ from the share.

Interested to hear what your total preclear times are.

WD EARS 2TB drives for me (not the fastest things) took 24-28 hours when it was going 'fast'.  Some drives took as long as 48 hours.  Haven't figured out what the issue is yet. I had two drives going at one and got 24 and 26 hours and then the 48 hours doing only the one drive - and it was the only thing unRAID was doing.

I suggest you do the unMenu and then do some of the packages, including the email one.  I start preclear from a workstation (telnet) and have it send me the process updates to my gmail. Works great, just check my phone now and again for speed, temps, etc.