CPU air cooler for i9 in a servercase? (Possible?)

casperse

Hi All

(UPDATE has to be air cooler, dont want water in my server 🙂 )

Any recommendation for a server case CPU cooler that can cool a i9 (Intel Core i9-13900)?

I have a servercase Norco RPC-4224 4U (UK SC-4324S) ( W x D x H ) 19" x 21.65" x 7.0" (483mm x 550mm x 176mm)
The existing cooler is a Noctua NH-U9S  (125mm height total).

Is this even possible? (I expect to down clock the CPU since test shows that you pay to much for the last % and electricity is not cheap)
Sound is not a big issue the server is located in another building

Edited by casperse
  • casperse changed the title to CPU air cooler for i9 in a servercase? (Possible?)
On 9/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, ConnerVT said:

Your NH-U9S should work just fine, especially if you are planning to under clock / under volt your CPU.

https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i9-13900-1658

I didn't even think about using my existing cooler 🙂 My thoughts was that a "i9 monster" would need something better
I guess I can get a replacement mount to use it with the LGA 1700, thanks!

• Thanks 1

According to Noctua, the NH-U9S is middle of the pack of their cooling solutions for the i9.  If you planned on pushing an i9 to its limits, it maybe wouldn't be the top choice.  But being space limited, it is all about compromise.

I would evaluate your chassis cooling as well.  Getting the heat out of the CPU is step one.  But no cooler will work very well if you don't get that heat out of the chassis.

That rack pulls air through the front, over the HDD's and then that temp of air gets pushed into the chamber of the system.

So it would be worth over delivering on the cooler choice to get the air out the back as quickly as possible.

There doesnt seem to be anything inside the case to direct the air? Like a plastic shroud for example? Dont see it in the listing.

Do some research there and see if such a thing exists. If it does, you will have to take that into consideration as it may impact the choices.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, ConnerVT said:

According to Noctua, the NH-U9S is middle of the pack of their cooling solutions for the i9.  If you planned on pushing an i9 to its limits, it maybe wouldn't be the top choice.  But being space limited, it is all about compromise.

I would evaluate your chassis cooling as well.  Getting the heat out of the CPU is step one.  But no cooler will work very well if you don't get that heat out of the chassis.

Correct its near the bottom of them all:

image.thumb.png.4bee59e6bfadda51eafdef1438448b9f.png
But its the only one that have a total height of only 125 mm (3U case)

In regards to the case cooling, its pretty extreme I have 3 x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM running at 100% fan speed 24/7 (Very loud) but it keeps the airflow passthrough high.
There must be some i9 3U case - Industri CPU cooler with some insane fan, that puts all the Noctua coolers to shame?