Too many wrong and/or missing disks! [SOLVED]

I am running:

unRAID Server Pro

version: 5.0-beta12

I replaced one of my 750GB drives with a 3TB (pre-cleared it first) and now the array will not start.  Normally something like this wouldn't be a problem since I currently do not use parity.  

I have tried to use parity before, but I was unsuccessful (really slow but I'm not worried about that right now).  So I thought removing the 3TB i wanted to use for parity would work as a data drive (it didn't)

So here is the process I went through before this occurred:

1. Physically added a 3TB drive to my current 20 drive (not including parity) server

2. Pre-cleared it

3. Added it to parity and ran a test sync (went slow so I gave up on that plan for now)

4. So I removed it from the array and just let it sit in my server and not my array (everything works for weeks)

5. Removed the 750GB drive from the array (than removed it from the server after shutting it down)

6. Physically add ANOTHER 3TB to get it started on pre-clear (I don't actually start the pre-clear yet)

7. I add the older 3TB drive (the one i tried with parity) to the spot where I removed the 750GB.

8. Now it won't let me start the array and it states "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!"  This would make sense to me if I was using parity but I'm not.

I've attached my syslog.  Is there any way I can just clear the device information and redo the entire array?  Since I'm not using parity i don't really see how that could be a problem.

syslog9-12-11.txt

I am running:

unRAID Server Pro

version: 5.0-beta12

I replaced one of my 750GB drives with a 3TB (pre-cleared it first) and now the array will not start.  Normally something like this wouldn't be a problem since I currently do not use parity.  

I have tried to use parity before, but I was unsuccessful (really slow but I'm not worried about that right now).  So I thought removing the 3TB i wanted to use for parity would work as a data drive (it didn't)

So here is the process I went through before this occurred:

1. Physically added a 3TB drive to my current 20 drive (not including parity) server

2. Pre-cleared it

3. Added it to parity and ran a test sync (went slow so I gave up on that plan for now)

4. So I removed it from the array and just let it sit in my server and not my array (everything works for weeks)

5. Removed the 750GB drive from the array (than removed it from the server after shutting it down)

6. Physically add ANOTHER 3TB to get it started on pre-clear (I don't actually start the pre-clear yet)

7. I add the older 3TB drive (the one i tried with parity) to the spot where I removed the 750GB.

8. Now it won't let me start the array and it states "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!"  This would make sense to me if I was using parity but I'm not.

I've attached my syslog.  Is there any way I can just clear the device information and redo the entire array?  Since I'm not using parity i don't really see how that could be a problem.

you still need to tell the array you are using a new disk configuration.

Type:

initconfig

or, use the button in the web-interface in the "Utils" tab for a "New Config".

• Like 2

Spot on!  I used the "Utils" tab and pressed "New Config" like you said and it worked perfectly.  It did clear all the drive arrangements though, so it would be good to note the order you had it in before you press new config in case you need to have it in the same order so it doesn't affect any documentation you have.

• 3 years later...

Will "New Config" wipe all of my drives or just the ones that are unassigned? I Have three drives, two of which are DAS Arrays and one is just a single 320Gb SATA.

My end result is to make the 320Gb drive a cache drive. I am running 6.0-beta14b.

Thank you,

Niles

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/13/2011 at 10:36 AM, user14512 said:

Spot on!  I used the "Utils" tab and pressed "New Config" like you said and it worked perfectly.  It did clear all the drive arrangements though, so it would be good to note the order you had it in before you press new config in case you need to have it in the same order so it doesn't affect any documentation you have.

thanks, now is tools and new config for reset array configuration.