NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 Passthrough Problems

catch44

Hi 

I have a clean install of Unraid (6.12.3) and have managed to get the Quadro FX1800 pass through work to an AlmLinux 9.1 guest VM. However it only works from a cold boot. In other words turn on the machine with the VM on autostart and it works fine. If I stop it though and try to restart it I get garbled video output.

The machine also has a Quadro M5000 card but I'm using that for my tests. I do have them both bound to the vfio at boot in the Tools setting though I must admit it's confusing as to whether this is need nowadays ? Give that it works the first time i'm ignoring this aspect of the problem.

In the logs for the VM I see the qemu startup log is 

2023-09-20 01:33:12.838+0000: starting up libvirt version: 8.7.0, qemu version: 7.1.0, kernel: 6.1.38-Unraid, hostname: Toontown
LC_ALL=C \
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux \
XDG_DATA_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux/.local/share \
XDG_CACHE_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux/.cache \
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux/.config \
/usr/local/sbin/qemu \
-name guest=AlmaLinux,debug-threads=on \
-S \
-object '{"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux/master-key.aes"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash0-storage"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ecd3a78e-809d-9e57-8985-2e980756b2f5_VARS-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-format","read-only":false,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash1-storage"}' \
-machine pc-q35-7.1,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off,memory-backend=pc.ram,pflash0=libvirt-pflash0-format,pflash1=libvirt-pflash1-format \
-accel kvm \
-cpu host,migratable=on,host-cache-info=on,l3-cache=off \
-m 4096 \
-object '{"qom-type":"memory-backend-ram","id":"pc.ram","size":4294967296}' \
-overcommit mem-lock=off \
-smp 4,sockets=1,dies=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
-uuid ecd3a78e-809d-9e57-8985-2e980756b2f5 \
-display none \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=35,server=on,wait=off \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew \
-global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":8,"chassis":1,"id":"pci.1","bus":"pcie.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":9,"chassis":2,"id":"pci.2","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1.0x1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":10,"chassis":3,"id":"pci.3","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1.0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":11,"chassis":4,"id":"pci.4","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1.0x3"}' \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":12,"chassis":5,"id":"pci.5","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1.0x4"}' \
-device '{"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":13,"chassis":6,"id":"pci.6","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1.0x5"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-ehci1","id":"usb","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x7.0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci1","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":0,"bus":"pcie.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci2","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":2,"bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x7.0x1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci3","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":4,"bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x7.0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-serial-pci","id":"virtio-serial0","bus":"pci.2","addr":"0x0"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/AlmaLinux/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-blk-pci","bus":"pci.3","addr":"0x0","drive":"libvirt-2-format","id":"virtio-disk2","bootindex":1,"write-cache":"on","serial":"vdisk1"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/linux/AlmaLinux-9.1-x86_64-dvd.iso","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-cd","bus":"ide.0","drive":"libvirt-1-format","id":"sata0-0-0","bootindex":2}' \
-netdev tap,fd=36,id=hostnet0 \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-net","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:83:04:ba","bus":"pci.1","addr":"0x0"}' \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device '{"driver":"isa-serial","chardev":"charserial0","id":"serial0","index":0}' \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=34,server=on,wait=off \
-device '{"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":1,"chardev":"charchannel0","id":"channel0","name":"org.qemu.guest_agent.0"}' \
-audiodev '{"id":"audio1","driver":"none"}' \
-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:03:00.0","id":"hostdev0","bus":"pci.4","addr":"0x0","romfile":"/mnt/user/isos/vbios/gt170.rom"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-host","hostdevice":"/dev/bus/usb/003/002","id":"hostdev1","bus":"usb.0","port":"1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-host","hostdevice":"/dev/bus/usb/003/004","id":"hostdev2","bus":"usb.0","port":"2"}' \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

When i stop it the logs adds these two lines to the logs

2023-09-20T01:35:29.116320Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 2853 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2023-09-20 01:35:30.537+0000: shutting down, reason=shutdown

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer

• The above command using qemu - where is that defined.
  • Is it unique to each VM type or just in the template
  • When trying to run the above command in the terminal it complained about a missing `Failed to open file “/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-AlmaLinux/master-key.aes”` file. Are there other options that I can pass to qemu to help diagnose the problem?
  • Is there some tool to dump the important information about the card that I can run before and after its started/stopped so I could compare and see what state it has been left in that results in it not working.

Happy to provide any further information as needed. Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Edited by catch44
Typo

Anyone ? Is there even anyone from Lime Technology in these forums these days I see a lot of unanswered questions. It is so difficult to know where to go with these graphics card pass through problems. I feel like unraid could benefit from a definitive source of truth about what cards work and what configuration is needed to get them to work. 

Gripe aside I love unraid and think its fantastic value for money.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:57 AM, catch44 said:

The above command using qemu - where is that defined.

Its created by libvirt whem the vm starts from the xml. qemu is the process that runs the vm.

Is it unique to each VM type or just in the template

Yes it is specific to the vm.

Is there some tool to dump the important information about the card that I can run before and after its started/stopped so I could compare and see what state it has been left in that results in it not working.

If bound to vfio the host cannot check any power states. You would been nvidia drivers and tools to check state.