Issue with rebuild and errors

capshades

Hi all,

Been using unRaid for a few years now, have a very large but basic setup for deep storage/backups that has grown with time.  12 drive array including 1 parity.  

A couple weeks ago I log in to check on the status and notice one of my drives (#10) has a red X and says emulated.  This is an Exos drive that itself is less than 18 months old.  I check Google, I find the forum posts about running a long-form SMART test and replacing cables, both of which I do and it passes the long SMART test just fine.  No severe temperature spikes above warranty either.  With this information, I decide to rebuild on top of the old drive, following the instructions in the unRaid help section.

After starting the rebuild, everything seems fine, however after checking a few hours into it, I notice that A: there is no increase in the "write" count for drive #10, and B: now instead there is a continuously increasing "error" count for drive #8.  So my question: is the problem with drive #10, #8, both, or neither?  Never done a rebuild, only parity checks, and they typically take around 22 hours so this was about 20% into the process.  Drive #8 is and always has shown as green status, same age but different production batch number than drive #10.

This data isn't remotely valuable, but I'd like to know if I need to replace the drives outright or if giving it a second chance in a rebuild is worth the time.

Cheers on the helpful community btw!

Edited by capshades