Array disk in error state -> rebuild -> disk unmountable

oddj0b
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I received an error message a couple of days ago that one of my Array disks was in an error state.

There are no SMART errors on the disk so I proceeded to do a rebuild (removed disk from Array, added it back and allowed it to rebuild, as per this guide: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself)

The rebuild has just finished, but now the disk is showing 'unmountable: Unsupported or no file system':

375453221_Screenshot2023-09-28122323.thumb.png.a893b2f47f1167955ddbda0c3b558b4f.png

I am not too sure on how to proceed now and I wouldn't to request your support. The guide I am looking at (https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#drive-shows-as-unmountable) suggests I should not do an xfs_repair on the disk as this will invalidate the parity, but other posts in the support forum suggest this is what I need to do.

How should I repair the disk?

Much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

diagnostics-20230928-1228.zip

Edited by oddj0b

Thanks. Was I not supposed to rebuild on top of the original disk then?

So if understand, I now need to:

1: Grab a new drive and format as xfs (same filesystem as my array)

2: Use a recovery tool to and copy as many files as possible to the new drive

How do I then add this drive back into the array while avoiding a rebuild? Could you please explain this process to avoid any further issues down the line?

Best,

G

21 minutes ago, oddj0b said:

Was I not supposed to rebuild on top of the original disk then?

You should never do that before confirming the emulated disk is mounting and contents look correct, whatever you see on the emulated disk is the same you will see after the rebuild is done, so if it's unmountable see if it's fixable before rebuilding.

22 minutes ago, oddj0b said:

How do I then add this drive back into the array while avoiding a rebuild?

If you have some space elsewhere you can remove that disk from the array and copy the data, then put it back, format and restore the data, if you prefer to replace the disk you can either just replace it with another one and rebuild (then format), or do a new config with the new disk and resync parity.