NAGIOS anyone?

Anyone here use NAGIOS to monitor their network resources?

I'm considering a custom plugin to monitor the array status/health.

Just curious if anyone else is interested or has a starting point.

if you use NAGIOS, do you use NRPE or NSCA ?

One requires a daemon.

The other requires some tools and a script to run the plugins and report the status.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't, but have been trying to figure out how I can graphically monitor the health of the devices on my network.  I just installed Nmap (http://nmap.org, which seems to do a decent job of discovering Linux resources, but not so hot for WIndows-based workstations (more experimentation to come).  In addition, I don't believe it has a heartbeat mechanism, so the only way to tell whether a workstation is off or on (without walking upstairs and looking) is to rescan your network.

• 3 months later...

I would love to get nagios going on my unraid box though I'm unsure what would be the best way to go about it. I am in the process of setting up a nagios server so once it is set up I will look into getting it run on unraid. I'm not even sure how to get most of the advanced stats like current bandwidth and connected users displayed locally let alone get them exported across the network though. :P

Also Billk, I believe that Nmap more intend for initial discovering of network devices rather than a constant monitor of them. This is where nagios could be used, in fact the guys over at the official forum are trying to combine the two programs (nagios + nmap). http://www.meulie.net/portal_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11185.0#post_11252