Cases

Agreed on the wheels. I keep my UnRaid in the most undignified of places (a back room in my basement where the cat's litterbox is ;-) There's no monitor hooked up to it at all, just power, and ethernet.

When setting it up, or adding/upgarding a drive (just added a drive this weekend, smooth as silk), it sure is nice to wheel that beast out for a little time in the daylight. I'd throw my back out if I had to lift it.

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled upon a case that seems like it would be perfect for a media server. 

http://xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html

Its modular, with 18 5.25" drive bays, and adaptors which convert 3 5.25" bays into 4 3.5" bays with a 120 mm fan in each drive cage, which would give 24 3.5" bays from that alone.  If I'm not mistaken, theres also additional drive cages that are available for it that attach to the rear panel of the case for a few more drives.

However, the price is a factor ($350 without any 3.5" drive cages), and unRAID only currently supports 12 drives anyway.  Maybe a 24 drive version that uses 2 or 3 parity drives would be perfect?  :-D  (This isn't a real feature request, I can't afford that many drives anyway, just wishful thinking.)

umm.. so I guess you can mount 2 MOBOs in this thing as well.... hrmmmmmmmm 2 unRAID servers in one case? I guess you would have to use 2 600watt power supplies? Or how much power is drawn with a 12disk array? Seriously, if I could put 2 MOBO in here I might consider checking out this case.... the wife will kill me, but I really am into this huge case  ;D