Home cloud... maybe? Looking for suggestions.

mattw

I have 2 daughters that take lots of cell phone videos and pictures.  I would love to set up something on Unraid that would either semi or fully automatically back up their camera files when they come home and connect to wifi.  Both devices are android 12. 

Is this even possible?  If so, is it something a normal user can figure out?

While I am at it... can i add a card reader to my server and automatically suck the data off of a camera card to the array?

Thanks

3 hours ago, mattw said:

I would love to set up something on Unraid that would either semi or fully automatically back up their camera files when they come home and connect to wifi. 

Check out Nextcloud.  The Android app can monitor the Camera folder among others and do exactly what you want.  Auto-upload works great.  It may be a feature now, but keeping in sync wasnt available.  Ex. Once uploaded, file stays on server even after deleted from phone.

3 hours ago, mattw said:

Is this even possible?  If so, is it something a normal user can figure out?

You're an Unraid user, you can figure it out.

• Upvote 1

Did you search this forum for 'self hosted cloud', 'phone backup', or something similar? There are a few options but you wil never come close to what commercial players (microsoft, google, dropbox, etc...) are offering.

If you want a complete self hosted cloud option then nextcloud is a good start. But i had a better experience with Seafile. Downside (for me) is, both are database-based and tbh., nextcloud needed mothly maintenance...

Other options are resillio or syncthing which are file-based and just powerfull sync-software.

A third option is to use a free dropbox (or other) account and have a user script move the files overnight to your local server.

If you only want to backup your phone camera folder to your server over local wifi, you can also install some samba-app on your smartphone and use a user script to backup the files.