Which instance is creating /mnt/user shares?

cyp2k
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I am currently using 3 ZFS Pools /mnt/data1store, /mnt/data2store and /mnt/data3store merged with MergerFS to /mnt/datastore

With Samba Extras I`ve created the share "media" with mountpoint /mnt/datastore/media

Until now, the media share was not visible in Unraids share section, but accessible from any Network device as expected.

For some reason the media share is now visible in the Unraid share settings, with mountpoint /mnt/user/media and as primary location "Array". 

Any idea how to remove this share from Unraid GUI without deleting the data?

Hi Jonathan,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there are no more shares available at all, when setting "enable user shares" to "No". I would like to keep the ones, created via Unraid "shares" tab.

Adding some pictures for better understandig (sorry for my lousy expression):

Unraid3.thumb.jpg.6a8f313d5a7afb6f6eba470071e76d28.jpg

Before the issue started, the "media" share in red was not visible in the shares section of Unraid and this is the expected bahaviour.

This share was created via SMB Extras manually.

Unraid2.thumb.jpg.859c478c2ae805f7ca2dee265b1004cd.jpg

That`s what it looks like inside of the share settings. Who defined the primary storage as array?

Unraid1.thumb.jpg.643dc49d2ff70fcccc000389c51b7dfc.jpg

How does Unraid know, that there is a share "media" created in SMB Extras and its location is at data1store, data2store and data3store? Which instance is then creating /mnt/user/media?

The question is now, how do I get back to the previous state?

- Keeping the Unraid default shares (domains, appdata...) and the two shares "data-backup" and "nas", managed by Unraid

- Getting rid of the share "media" beeing managed by Unraid

Unraid will automatically create a User Share for any top level folders on any pool that can be used for User Shares but with default settings.

the thing to do in your case is to go into the share settings and set the Primary storage to the pool, and the secondary storage to None.   This will not remove it from the GUI but it will function as expected and all its contents stored on the pool.   No need for you to manually play around with the SMB settings.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Unraid will automatically create a User Share for any top level folders on any pool that can be used for User Shares but with default settings.

the thing to do in your case is to go into the share settings and set the Primary storage to the pool, and the secondary storage to None.   This will not remove it from the GUI but it will function as expected and all its contents stored on the pool.   No need for you to manually play around with the SMB settings.

Thank you itimpi, at least now I know  how the /mnt/user shares are created.

Unfortunately changing the primary storage to the pool is not working in this case, since I am accessing three pools in total merged with MergerFS.

Pool 1 ZFS mirror => /mnt/data1store

Pool 2 ZFS mirror => /mnt/data2store

Pool 3 ZFS mirror => /mnt/data3store

merged to /mnt/datastore

If I am trying to change the primary storage of "media" now, I am able to choose between data1store, data2store OR data3store but no datastore, since it is not a pool but a merged folder instead. For that reason I have created the share "media" within SMB Extras and it should not be visible in Unraids share tab.

That was also the reason for my feature request =>

It would be great to have pools assinged to the array, for example Disk1 = data1store, Disk2 = data2store.....  Then all shares, balancing of data between, etc. would be managed by Unraid, without messing with MergerFS and SMB Extras.

Edited by cyp2k
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you tried unsettling the option in the pool settings to allow it to be used for User Shares?   Nor sure if that would work or not?

Thank you itimpi, that did the trick.

When initially setting up the pools, I`ve had the "enable user share assignment" set to "No" for each pool. Past few days I`ve made a "New Config" after playing around and I guess, I just missed that adjustment and the "media" share popped up. Thanks again!