Unraid as VM on Windows 11 in Hyper-V

Hi, 

I would like to use Unraid in Hyper-V on my Windows 1 1 Pro (Ryzen). The data is only for home use. I know it is not recommended but I would like to set it up as a VM.

However, I was not able to install Unraid as VM in Hyper-V. Is this even possible? 

I heard about usb stick passthrough but I am unable to set any usb i have tried to set it the usb offline but the options is not available in computer management. Created iso from the usb with imgburn but the installation stops at labeled unraid device not found.

I have also hba card which i would like to pass thru. I could not find on the net how to do that. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you very much. I will try VirtualBox.  Do you have guide/tutorial how to set it up ?

I am currently using TrueNAS I like but I miss the feature where I can miss and match or just add another drive to increase the space on the dataset. 

Thank you 

Edited by uniform-earring2279
On 10/17/2023 at 5:34 AM, itimpi said:

I never succeeded in getting Unraid to run under Hyper-V as I could never find a way to pass the flash drive through to the VM as is needed for Unraid to boot successfully and recognize a licence key.

if I now need to run Unraid in a VM on my Windows system I use VirtualBox.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have setup Unraid in VirtualBox on a Windows 11 Pro Ryzen 7 machine.

Also when I try to format any drive the VM goes into pause in Virtualbox. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to enable the S.M.A.R.T feature on the drives in UNRAID or will that not work? 

Thanks.

Edited by uniform-earring2279
8 minutes ago, uniform-earring2279 said:

Is there a way to enable the S.M.A.R.T feature on the drives in UNRAID or will that not work? 

No idea I am afraid.   Not sure if you can pass through the controller rather than individual drives in VirtualBox which I think would be required to get SMART info.

23 minutes ago, uniform-earring2279 said:

Thank,

Also when I try to format any drive the VM goes into pause in Virtualbox. What am I doing wrong?

No idea - I have no trouble formatting the drives on my system.   It might be worth looking into the VirtualBox logs to see if that gives a clue.

Figured it out. I had to enable Use Host I/O Cache under controller: SATA in Virtualbox 

HBA card i bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/125443426997

2x 18TB Seagate

However but i am unable to format the HDD which I passed thru from the HBA controller. Every time I try to format it it says. I can format the other hard drive. Its brand new and I tested it. Its health and has no errors.

Edited by IndianX