Plex Media Server Pleasantly surprised

sacretagent

well i am very surprised by the Plex server ....

it is scraping everything ... even my Thai movies ...

with the plexbmc plugin in xbmc it is working much faster then xbmc and a mysql database

if only they would make a windows client .... i saw the one somebody made on their forum but that thing crashes all the time ... so if elan could make a serious windows client that would be the icing on the cake :)

only reason why i installed it was because i will probably or get a mac mini or an appletv with plex  to put under the TV in the livingroom

and the new tv in the bedroom will be an LG with plex integrated...

so while i was bored i installed the plex server with the plugin and after 5 minutes most of my work was done and the thing has been scraping all day today :P

i am thinking of removing the xbmc database and just using the plexbmc plugin on my 3 windows machines

xbmc with mysql has the advantage of using one database but it is very slow with 3600 movies and 28000 tv eps ...

i have to wait till 2 minutes before it comes back to me when a movie is finished ...

Plex is nearly immediately

hope Elan can be convinced to make a windows Client

well i am very surprised by the Plex server ....

it is scraping everything ... even my Thai movies ...

with the plexbmc plugin in xbmc it is working much faster then xbmc and a mysql database

if only they would make a windows client .... i saw the one somebody made on their forum but that thing crashes all the time ... so if elan could make a serious windows client that would be the icing on the cake :)

only reason why i installed it was because i will probably or get a mac mini or an appletv with plex  to put under the TV in the livingroom

and the new tv in the bedroom will be an LG with plex integrated...

so while i was bored i installed the plex server with the plugin and after 5 minutes most of my work was done and the thing has been scraping all day today :P

i am thinking of removing the xbmc database and just using the plexbmc plugin on my 3 windows machines

xbmc with mysql has the advantage of using one database but it is very slow with 3600 movies and 28000 tv eps ...

i have to wait till 2 minutes before it comes back to me when a movie is finished ...

Plex is nearly immediately

hope Elan can be convinced to make a windows Client

yeah also hoping someday there might be a windows client...  ::)

it works so great on my galaxy tab 10.1

I'm more interested in the syncing of different machines so I watch it one room and resume in another, and have each machine show the same recently added movies etc.

that can be a bit of a pain for people coming over as some machines get turned on more often than others so they're not quite in sync with the recently added content.

I'm more interested in the syncing of different machines so I watch it one room and resume in another, and have each machine show the same recently added movies etc.

that can be a bit of a pain for people coming over as some machines get turned on more often than others so they're not quite in sync with the recently added content.

Xbmc with Mysql will do this but as i said with a lot of content this is SLOOOOOOOW

Plex does the same and it is quicker then XBMC with Mysql ....

might be if i could tweak my mysql a bit but even then xbmc developpers admitted that their database structure is not optimal for large mysql queries ....

the link to the plugin is right kizer...

i am for the moment running both ... LOL

also the android app for plex is good ..... can watch movies on my Chinese Ipad (Epad10" ZT-180 CPU 1 GHz ) ;) 

Plex does the stop on one and resume on another perfectly. If you have mac's involved already, it's a no-brainer. If you don't... Go get an Apple TV. They are $99, come with a remote, and the plex client is fast, stable, and looks great. PleXBMC is fine, and works good, but the move from a windows notebook and a wireless mouse to Apple TV with remote is more than worth the price tag and the 30 mins to jailbreak it IMO.

Moved to Plex a year ago, and never looked back :)

Whiteatom

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone using PMS and openELEC?  PMS is getting all the metadata but it's not showing up in openELEC... just the file lists.  On the upside, some of the plugins do work from PlexOnline.

There are definitely some bugs in plexbmc confluence skin.  Not sure if this is an openELEC issue or what but when I use the integrate option nothing happens when I try to use the selections on the main menu.  Also if I try to select 'settings' from the contextual menu I get a script error.

Archived