Advice for upgrading parity drives and removing drives

I am upgrading both parity drives and removing three old drives.

I have three old wd efrx 2TB drives to remove (used ckear-me script), the first one was removed flawlessly and took about 5 hours, the second one I had to abort after 18 hours as I was sure something was wrong. It is a very large array, but I surely do not believe it, expecially since they were empty (except for clear-me folder), should take that long. It had removed the 'clear-me' folder required for identification by the script. 

Am I correct to assume something went wrong and that I was correct in aborting the script?

At this point should I replace the parity drives, remove the empty drives and rebuild the array keeping the original parity drives just in case?

log_10162023.txt

4 hours ago, icedragonslair said:

expecially since they were empty

Previous content is irrelevant, clearing means writing zeroes to every bit on the disk, so many many hours is expected, especially since parity is calculated and written as well.

4 hours ago, icedragonslair said:

At this point should I replace the parity drives, remove the empty drives and rebuild the array keeping the original parity drives just in case?

Since you are replacing the parity drives, clearing the removed drives was not needed, and since you likely didn't complete the clear process anyway, keeping the original parity drives intact isn't helpful either.

Just assign all the drives as desired and build parity.