New hardware, stuttering video stream via SMB

Hello all,

I've been using Unraid for almost a year now from old parts (AMD A10-7850K 3.7 GHz, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN motherboard). I recently upgraded to newer hardware (13th Gen Intel i3) and kept the same unraid configuration and drives. Even before the upgrade, I had no complaints.... I just wanted the machine to be more power efficient and utilize Intel Quick Sync for hardware transcoding in Plex.

The upgrade went smoothly, Plex is now hardware transcoding. However, streaming videos via SMB is now not a great experience. I'm using a Meta Quest 2 to view 6k videos (10-18gb videos) with the Skybox video player. This used to work on my old hardware from 2014 and streamed smoothly... but not brand new hardware? All network settings are exactly the same. I'm wondering if this is an SMB issue, or possibly something in the new motherboard BIOS?

Any help would be great.

Hardware Info

• Model:Custom
  • M/B:ASRock B760M-ITX/D4 WiFi s/n M80-XXXXXXXXX
  • BIOS:American Megatrends International, LLC. Version 1.12 Dated 12/06/2022
  • CPU:13th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-13100 @ 4257 MHz
  • HVM:Enabled
  • IOMMU:Enabled
  • Cache:L1 Cache: 192 KiB, L1 Cache: 128 KiB, L2 Cache: 5 MiB, L3 Cache: 12 MiB
  • Memory:32 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)
  • Network:bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
  • Kernel:Linux 6.1.49-Unraid x86_64
  • OpenSSL:1.1.1v
  • Uptime:2 days, 29 minutes

Following this, as I'm having a very similar issue. My new server I just built is on the opposite side of yours, much MUCH more (thats not to brag, its to point out that something is really up, and I'm not sure what either). I ran openspeedtest and the 2.5gbps switch is almost fully saturated between my PC and the Unraid box. Plex buffers, but watching the same video through MPC-BE from the SMB share, it is disgusting the level of stutter/buffer. So I'm eager to see what insights others might have, and glad to know I'm not alone in it.

Just tried to transfer a file from the SMB to my desktop, 9.9mb/s lmao... what in the heck...

Screenshot 2023-10-21 190617.png

@Brian Yuenare you by chance doing any I/O intensive operations on the UNRAID in the background. I figured my hardware would be up to snuff to handle all that I was doing... and apparently not. Its some downloading docker apps that are basically crushing the hard drive's ability to do much of anything.

Edited by stry8993
  • 2 weeks later...