Low Power Sleep modes and HW support.

Apex77

Hello all,

I am planning on building the 5 Drive minibox soon, but I have some questions regarding power management. Sleep and Low power modes in particular.

Does UnRaid support Low Power Sleep modes when the box is not being accessed? If it does, does the motherboard have to support this feature and if so which motherboards come to mind.

A high level stab at the requirements would be

1. Drives spin down

2. Fans off (and not needed because the system is in a very low power state)

3. Entire system in a deep sleep state (specifics not detailed here).

4. The system comes back up when a user accesses the server.

Is this possible or supported? If it is are there specific different parts required or do the parts listed in the prototype designs support these or similar requirements?

Thank you for reading and future responses.

Does UnRaid support Low Power Sleep modes when the box is not being accessed?

No officially

1. Drives spin down

This is "built into unRAID

2. Fans off (and not needed because the system is in a very low power state)

Fans will always be running in default unRAID

3. Entire system in a deep sleep state (specifics not detailed here).

doable but not in default unRAID.

4. The system comes back up when a user accesses the server.

Most of this time this does not work.  To get the server to come back up you generally need to sen a WOL packet to the server.

Is this possible or supported?

It is possible, but not officially supported as of yet

If it is are there specific different parts required or do the parts listed in the prototype designs support these or similar requirements?

Do some reading and research on the forums here to find the information.  I don't bother following those kinds of threads as I don't need/want my server to sleep.

There is an S3 script in the Customization forum (do some searching) that will get you going in the correct direction.  Sorry but I don't have any suggestion on parts that may work best in conjunction with S3 type sleep states.

Archived