Updated CPU and motherboard, now constant restarts

bmrowe

I updated a working system to an ASUS TUF b760M D4 and an intel 13500 (from an 11500 and b560m motherboard). Things look fine in bios, and I can leave the machine in bios forever.

However once I boot to unraid, the system will restart after exactly 15 seconds and do this over and over. I think I've eliminated most potential hardware issues - I've simplified the system down to just the motherboard and CPU. I've tried GUI mode and safe mode, and all restart in 15s. The memtest sends it back to the bios splash screen. 

I tried a random distro of linux on a different USB. Same issue occurred once I booted into it. I also tried a fresh download of unraid, same problem.

Any ideas on things to try or what might be happening? 

Edited by bmrowe
5 hours ago, bmrowe said:

The memtest sends it back to the bios splash screen. 

Although not a 'fix' it is worth pointing out that if you boot in UEFI mode you need the latest version of memtest from memtest86.com which supports booting in UEFI mode as the version provided with Unraid will only work if booting in legacy mode.

• Like 1

I've got a replacement motherboard coming tomorrow and I ordered an extra power supply to test. I can't imagine its the CPU, but that would be the last possible thing. 

I don't have a way to boot in legacy since this motherboard needs a graphics card to enable legacy boot and I just use the igpu.

Following up on this. Replaced motherboard - same issue. However, I tried the new power supply and it worked! I'm super confused how a power supply could fail at the exact time I was replacing other parts. Has to somehow be connected, right? I thought maybe cable related and a cable got pinched while doing the install, but I used the old cables with the new power supply.

10 hours ago, bmrowe said:

However, I tried the new power supply and it worked! I'm super confused how a power supply could fail at the exact time I was replacing other parts. Has to somehow be connected, right

It could have meant that the power supply was marginal in some way and changing the parts took it over some limit.